Advice on salary negotiation

hepdoll

Registered
I'm up for my 3-month review at my new job and I could use some help on salary negotiating -- could you give me some advice? (I learned today that it will be tomorrow morning!)

I know each situation is unique, so here are some details that might matter:

• I do online community management/social media marketing. I have 6 yrs exp. in customer service/office mgmt and I'm Internet savvy but this is my first marketing position.
  • It's a small/medium-sized Argentine company and I earn pesos.
  • They look for excellent people and take their time to hire (I had 4 interviews!) and they do things en blanco, so we delayed my start by more than 4 months until my work visa was done.
  • I'm a great worker and I expect a mostly positive review.

The first salary they offered me during the interview process didn't thrill me and I was told that salaries generally are on the low side to start but they can go up at the 3 month review. Still, I pushed and got it 20% higher to start. I'm extra glad too, because some other things I was told didn't turn out to be entirely true - I think they were just saying whatever to try to appease me - so I'm skeptical about what they'll offer me at my review and I want to go in ready to ask for more.

But I don't know what to ask for! So, does anyone have advice on what a reasonable salary would be for this type of position and my background, now that I'm past the initial few months trial period? Thanks in advance. :)

This is hard. The salary I earn at the moment is good but thanks to inflation I'm now earning (in real terms) less. When my review comes up I shall ask for a pay rise... please let us know the pitch you use and the outcome!

From the experience of others at my place of work, I think it is important to let them know that you are willing to contribute something more to your work for the wage increase. I say contribute, obviously not work extra to the point where the wage is pointless.

P.S. Your job sounds really interesting... I'm actually looking for vacancies in marketing, social media and website management, if there are vacancies like that please let me know!

Thanks for the tip, Moonwitch! (And to those of you who sent me PMs, too.) I would have responded sooner except BAexpats was down when I tried to access it yesterday!

My review was postponed to today and it went very well, except that we could not talk about money. I expect to have that conversation in the next week or two - so if anyone has more input or advice, I'd love to hear it! It is so hard to know how much to go for.

I will be a bit of a nay-sayer. I wouldn't expect an increase after 3 months. It sounds like they told you it "could" go up, not that it "would" go up. It certainly doesn't hurt to ask but just have realistic expectations.

And coming from the other side of the desk - if you are asking me for a raise - I want to know why you think you deserve it. Give me examples of your work that have made me money or saved me money. Show me why it would be in my interest to give you a raise.

Doing a great job is great. But I expect when I hire someone that they will do a great job. That doesn't automatically merit a raise - especially after only 3 months.

I don't mean to sound negative - I'm sure you're doing a great job - but personally, when someone accepts a salary - I assume they are comfortable with that salary So unless that employee brings some clear proof to the table about why they deserve a raise, I personally wouldn't give someone one. And since you already negotiated a 20% higher starting salary, that's pretty great.

If you think you're underpaid, try networking and seeing what other companies are paying for similar positions.

I feel for the local poster as many local companies don`t seem to take the time to define such important things as policies for salary negotiations. I guess as a local employer with 60+ staff I side more with Citygirl..but I have learnt that salary negotiations have very strong cultural influence so it is typical for employees to form a line outside the manager`s door to demand more money since "he who shouts loudest" tends to be the only policy in force.
To avoid such we operate a strict annual performance evaluation model with annual increases related to performance and promotion or increases possible in a 1 month window mid year...and we definitely avoid playing to the Argentine style of "pay me more money and I`ll think about performing better"...promotions and salary increases should come as a result of you already performing at a higher level. I`d suggest you directly ask your manger what their policy is on salary increases ie frequency, how are the numbers calculated etc so you at least what the game play rules are..

Good luck...if I were you I would suggest you request assurances that your salary will matc inflation in the 12 month window from your date of hiring..at least 25%..and then agree % for exceptional performance..with data to prove your value as Citygirl wisely notes.

Fifs? Is it you Roger? If it is you, a warm hello from France (and I did perform well, sometimes numbers hide a lot of facets in performance). Pablo.

Back