Advice on...

I had confirmed with my lawyer in Asuncion about the illegality of importing used clothes.

We were working to set up a business to import slot machines from Peru into Paraguay at the time. We originally wanted to import them into Argentina, but found out there is a monopoloy here that's impossible to break into...

During our time trying to set up the slot machine business in Paraguay was when I met with my wife's friend, who was looking to get into some other businesses and she brought up the used clothes idea. I took it to my lawyer, who said it was certainly possible to get used clothes into the country, but difficult due to the restrictions. Much easier to get slot machines and run that business.

I don't think anyone's going to give you too much trouble over a few clothes sent down for personal use though.

They have a law for about everything and anything when it comes to importing. Do not think the law is enforced, but it is out there.
http://pe.usps.com/text/imm/ab_008.htm

"Used linen and clothing must be accompanied by a certificate of disinfection issued by a competent authority in the country of origin and countersigned by an Argentine consular service. In areas without an Argentine consular service, a disinfection certificate issued by the competent authorities is sufficient. The wrapper must be marked “Disinfection Certificate Enclosed.”

My advice would be to buy something here as expensive and low quality as it may be, just to get through the winter. It will be cheaper and less of a hassle in the long run. At least that's what I'd do, especially since things tend to get lost or take weeks/months to arrive.

Next time you return home stock up! :)

dennisr said:
They have a law for about everything and anything when it comes to importing. Do not think the law is enforced, but it is out there.
http://pe.usps.com/text/imm/ab_008.htm

"Used linen and clothing must be accompanied by a certificate of disinfection issued by a competent authority in the country of origin and countersigned by an Argentine consular service. In areas without an Argentine consular service, a disinfection certificate issued by the competent authorities is sufficient. The wrapper must be marked “Disinfection Certificate Enclosed.”

Excellent find!

I have people mule me things.

From running shoes to 100% COTTON bed sheets, I don't trust anything to the mail. And I only buy a few items of clothing here. (Giesso's items on sale at the end of the season are both quality and a decent price. Other than that... not at this time in the evolution of this country.)

El Queso and others, you are right. The wealthy shop owners in the center of Santa Cruz, Bolivia wanted to shut down the "Ropa Americana" but it didn't happen. I don't know why. Maybe too many poor people or they demonstrated or something. (I'm amazed how people can demonstrate down here and block the roadways from commerce. I know a man who lost alot of money because he was shipping fish to La Paz and people were demonstrating. Here you can do it. In the U.S. they'd call out the Highway patrol and put you in jail within minutes). Anyway, I've worked in the San Francisco Bay area as a garbage man for about 20 years. On Grimmer Blvd. near Fremont, Blvd, in Fremont, CA, across the street from the Cloverleaf Bowling Alley they had an office where they sold bulk clothing. I don't know if it's still there but they still ship U.S. bulk clothing. After doing a Google search, get a load of this!
Here's one that ships out of Jacksonville, Florida.
http://www.brogansakutu.com/products.html Mark IV

Back