Alaska To Argentina

Mikey, You are awesome!! I like to ride but this isnt a ride, this is a life changing adventure.. I admire you and wish you the best on this trip. Your blog is excelent and those pics are a story book in itself.
I am due back in BA mid May and if your still around and would like to come along for a day ride out of town for lunch with a group of my friends, your more than welcome.

Cheers,

Thanks for the wishes. We'll have to meet up for a group ride outta town.

Hello Mikey, love that Beemer.! Whilst travelling and time to sleep, do you do under the stars or sometime taking refuge under a soild roof.? And if lodging, how about the safety of your belongings + the machine? Where do you put your bike ? Hire a guard to fend off the thieves? Please share a bit...

Sometimes I camp under the stars but it's been a while since I've done that. When I stay at hostels, I find a place that has secure parking for the moto.. somewhere in a locked garage or even sometimes inside the lobby/foyer like this:

PE_23Jan14_007.jpg

and camping somewhere:
Prudhoe_15Jul13_0014.jpg

Sweet trip! Below was entering Argentina from Bolivia in 2008. I spent my first two years here just riding around to all of the provinces. Hopefully, I can make the coffee chat Friday and we can talk shaft vs. chains. PS - not too many people on this list get the GS Dirtboy handle. :)

150_zpsbb8117cd.jpg

Congratulation on your adventure. You only live once!

Did you see many fellow travelers on bicycles? This route is popular with the peddle set as well.

What places really stood out for you enough to want to return someday?

Sweet trip! Below was entering Argentina from Bolivia in 2008. I spent my first two years here just riding around to all of the provinces. Hopefully, I can make the coffee chat Friday and we can talk shaft vs. chains. PS - not too many people on this list get the GS Dirtboy handle. :)

Awesome! I'll have to get some good travel/riding info from ya. See ya Friday.

Congratulation on your adventure. You only live once!

Did you see many fellow travelers on bicycles? This route is popular with the peddle set as well.

What places really stood out for you enough to want to return someday?
Thanks.
I've seen lots of bicyclists, especially on the Carretera Austral in Chile and also near Ushuaia.

I had a great time in Colombia. I plan on looping back up through Uruguay, Paraguay, Brazil, Venezuela (maybe) and back to Colombia to spend another 2-4 months there. The area in and around Medellin is fantastic. Perfect spring-like climate all year round since it's on the equator and up in elevation. There's also the solid motorbike culture, good food/coffee (obviously :D ), and stunningly gorgeous women who are warm and receptive. Everyone is ultra friendly. I love it there and look forward to seeing some of my new friends again.

Medellin sounds great. I keep hearing good things about that place.

Hola a todos. My name is Mike and i've been traveling around the Americas via motorbike for the last 9 months. I've recently decided to stop here in BsA for the next few months to hang out, settle down a bit (I strangely desire a little bit of routine), and continue working on my Spanish. I've been here for about a week now and wouldn't mind meeting a few other locals/expats to join for a drink and some company. B)

CH_11Feb14_003.jpg

What's the DRY WEIGHT (curb weight?) of this bike?

Then what's the weight when it's loaded down like this and those "saddle bags" are packed and the gas tank is full?

Medellin sounds great. I keep hearing good things about that place.
Yup, great place.

What's the DRY WEIGHT (curb weight?) of this bike?

Then what's the weight when it's loaded down like this and those "saddle bags" are packed and the gas tank is full?
Dry weight is 392lbs, wet weight (fuel, coolant, etc) is about 465lbs. Full loaded and setup like I have it.. not really sure.. I'd guess around 575lbs. Not a lightweight!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Culture 1
C Newcomers Forum 2
Back