Almagro, what streets to avoid? Etc. etc.

Cathleen

Registered
Hi,

I'll be in BA for March, April and May and am looking for an apt.
I dance tango, so my choice of location is determined in part by that.

So far I've got it narrowed down to Almagro.
It seems to be authentic, not too touristy, not too richie...or am I wrong?

If anyone could let me know what streets or corners to avoid that would be very helpful as I'm trying to seal some deals for apts before I go down there, and if and when a good deal comes along I'll have to be able to decide quickly.

Also, what's Villa Crespo (around Fitz Roy and Loyola...) and San Nicolas like ? Any tips about how (or whether) to best seal a deal before arriving?

Any info will be greatly appreciated !

Almagro is great. There is another thread that people are posting in tonight with specific recommendations: http://baexpats.org/expat-life/13501-opinions-about-almagro.html

I used to live on Bulnes between Cordoba and Corrientes and loved it. That general area is fantastic. I also lived off Diaz velez near Medrano and Rivadavia, and it's ok, just less going on. There is a ton going on near Bulnes and Lavalle, so look for somewhere within 10 blocks or so of that as a good starting point. There are also some really super cool authentic tango places around Almagro, so I'm sure you'll enjoy being close to them, and almagro is well connected to the rest of the city.

On the other side of Cordoba (towards Santa Fe) is Palermo viejo which is nice. Villa Crespo is more quiet, but is a great location, as is it's neighboring barrio Chacaritas.

That said, anything can happen here. When one bad thing happens on a street corner with one person, it won't necessarily be even remotely dangerous for the next 1000+ people who walk through there (if ever again!), so specific streets to avoid aren't going to do you any favors especially in these "safer" barrios. In GENERAL it's a safe enough barrio. In GENERAL in this entire city you'll do well to keep your eyes open, and avoid wandering into villas.

That said, you're going to have a ball! :)

MizzMarr said:
Almagro is great. There is another thread that people are posting in tonight with specific recommendations: http://baexpats.org/expat-life/13501-opinions-about-almagro.html

I used to live on Bulnes between Cordoba and Corrientes and loved it. That general area is fantastic. I also lived off Diaz velez near Medrano and Rivadavia, and it's ok, just less going on. There is a ton going on near Bulnes and Lavalle, so look for somewhere within 10 blocks or so of that as a good starting point. There are also some really super cool authentic tango places around Almagro, so I'm sure you'll enjoy being close to them, and almagro is well connected to the rest of the city.

On the other side of Cordoba (towards Santa Fe) is Palermo viejo which is nice. Villa Crespo is more quiet, but is a great location, as is it's neighboring barrio Chacaritas.

That said, anything can happen here. When one bad thing happens on a street corner with one person, it won't necessarily be even remotely dangerous for the next 1000+ people who walk through there (if ever again!), so specific streets to avoid aren't going to do you any favors especially in these "safer" barrios. In GENERAL it's a safe enough barrio. In GENERAL in this entire city you'll do well to keep your eyes open, and avoid wandering into villas.

That said, you're going to have a ball! :)

This doesn't happen frequently, Cathleen. All you need to know in one reply.

Back