American Airlines bankruptcy

I have worked for AA for twenty five years. The passengers will be more or less protected through the bankruptcy process. That is, tickets and frequent flyer miles honored althoughj service standards and certain routes will likely be affected. The employees will get screwed through the bankruptcy process. The buenos aires flights are a cash cow for AA though.

marksoc said:
No ride is like flying with a pilot on food stamps. Bring your parachute.

I think that the biggest cuts will be to people who no longer are working for AA, so there's the first worry.

The second cut will be to the number of flight attendants per flight.

Then you'll start looking at baggage handlers & sales people.

Finally you'll see cuts in the grounds crew. This is the one to watch, because this is the only one that affects the planes' safety.

The pilots will be paid a competitive rate and I seriously doubt that a pilot is going to want to kill himself just because he's not getting as much of a raise as he would have gotten in the past. So that's logic isn't really logical. :rolleyes:

Lucas said:
Hang on!

Of which 'AA' we are talking here?...:confused:

This thread is about American Airlines. As in www.AA.com with AAdvantage miles.

People have been using "AA" on this board this past week for Aerolineas Argentinas, but in the grand scheme of things:

"AA" = "American Airlines" when talking about the airline industry www.AA.com

&

"AA" = "Alcoholics Anonymous" when talking about people putting their life back together. www.AA.org

I think that the biggest cuts will be to people who no longer are working for AA, so there's the first worry.
Excuse my ignorance, but what AA has to do with people that no longer work in the company? Are there some kind of rights for retired workers? (like free flights or something like that?).

I suspect that the answer will have something to do with pensions and health care, after all, anything in the US is always about health care. But I don´t really know.

Mark,
they are worried about what will happen to their pension program. Benefits will probably reduced for existing retirees; reduced or eliminated for current employees; and not offered to future employees. Its a terrible situation for people who are part of the AA pension system, but since bankruptcy courts have been allowing corporations to renig on their pension obligations for many years AA has no choice at this point if they want to become competetive again.

Back