America's Cup

To each his own.
I dont see how this is "sports", though.
Up here in Washington, we have Tug Boat races- and, sure there is a winner, but mostly its an excuse to drink beer.

I can see how if a single runner from Haiti, say, wins an international event, she would "represent" the country.
But how does it represent anybody when a monarchy owns a corporation which owns another corporation which hires people from all over the world, then builds a boat sourced from all over the world, and pays employees to race that boat against one owned by another corporation?

Emirates doesnt exactly have any Dubai presence, or spirit, involved in that boat- its all employees and product.
Again, its shopping.

But I have never understood corporate "sports" at any level. To me, sport is interesting at the participation level, not as a moneymaking vehicle.

Congratulations to the sailing vessel with the black sail that was built in Aukland New Zealand on winning America's Cup. AKA Team USA. What a deal, down 8 races to 1 a week ago.

Team Oracle USA is simply the faster boat. Congratulations !! Great regatta Team NZL.

Back