An argentinian with a few questions

tylor84 said:
Just because a country is wealthy, doesn't mean the quality of life is better there. I personally am moving to BA because I would like to experience a culture other than American culture. I would like to think that there are places in the world (other than the US) that better suit what I value in life, but I will never know until I have tried. So my advice if you want to move to Europe for whatever reason... go for it!

I first came to BA to see if I would like living here. My first choice was Paris but I could not and still cannot afford to live there. After fours years in Capital Federal I am ready to leave the city for life in the country, but I will stay in Argentina.

I still cannot afford to live in France, even in the country:

I am moving here:

http://www.remax.com.ar/PublicListingFull.aspx?lKey=91babcc3-4c00-4ba0-a557-2c1e4c15f884&Index=2

Here's an amazingly "comparable" property in France (equidistant fom the Atlantic coast, but 80% less land AND SEVERAL TIMES THE PRICE).

http://www.frenchentree.com/french-...vres-79/propertydetails.aspx?PropertyID=69407

Even if price was not a factor, I think I would still choose the Argentine property.

I no longer have a desire to live in Paris, either...just visit once in a while.

If you have a chance to move outside of Argentina, I would take it! Since you are from here, it's very likely that you will have other opportunities to live in BA...and maybe not as many opportunities to live someplace else in the world.

1. Travel to a country that doesn't speak your language and 2. wait tables. The first, with audio sensory deprivation, makes your brain work harder to see a new reality and grants the majority an appreciation of what they love about their own country and opens their eyes to the possibilities of the world. The second teaches humility and that there is joy in serving as much as being served.
That's my teapot philosophy for the day!:)

fifs2 said:
1. Travel to a country that doesn't speak your language and 2. wait tables. The first, with audio sensory deprivation, makes your brain work harder to see a new reality and grants the majority an appreciation of what they love about their own country and opens their eyes to the possibilities of the world. The second teaches humility and that there is joy in serving as much as being served.
That's my teapot philosophy for the day!:)

This is so darn cute, I like your philosophy.

Anyway, I say do it. Get outta here! Not that here is bad, but the experience of traveling and living in another country is priceless. Don't let people on here scare you, I think it's just in our nature to complain. (by we I mean the americans on here). I think anywhere you go right now there's economic trouble. I doubt you can escape inflation no matter where you are at the moment. Just go, have fun, and come back a better person!

This is a interesting question.

We moved here for several reasons. First of all we loved the country. We came here on holidays and every time we went back we were sad/down and wondering why we went back. (to earn money to be able to come here again!). So moving here was easy.

Then the economic crisis, -we have an international trade company- European market was completely down (and still is), but Latin America, the market we started to explore about 6 years ago, was still booming. We put much more energy in this market, but the time difference made it hard. Again moving here was solving that problem.

But then yes, why does one leave a 1st world country to come here? Many Argentines have already asked me that question. And our friends / family in Belgium are convinced that we have lost our minds (exept those who visited us here). In Belgium we have everything, we are all (relatively) 'rich', we have free medical care, good social security, the best schools and universities (for free), most of us own a house and a nice car, public transport is good,...

But together with this is a way of living. The stress is very high, even (or maybe especially) for kids/teenagers, the pressure is high. Kids have to give up sports/music class/... because they must study.
Coming late is an unforgivable sin, so the traffic causes much stress (it is always blocked). It is very important you have this or that car, to live in this or that neighbourhood. People are very jealous, please don't have a house bigger then your friend (!) or a car more expensive (!). But what was very important to me ; people are always complaining. (Like the Argentines?) People in my country have all they need to be happy, but they are not. They are too busy looking around watching others, and having more, more, more... They don't realise what they have, and how good their life really is.

I brought teenage kids, both a product of their time. They are (were) more materialistic that one can imagine. For them (especially my son) the type of car was crucial. They only wore clothes of this or that brand,... Prefered to have only 1 sweater of the right brand than 10 of cheaper brand. Needed a new cell because their was a new model (not because it was broken), a new watch because theirs was out of fashion etc.

So one of the reasons I decided to move was that I am convinced (and I turned out to be right), that it would do my kids good. They have a lot less stress here (although they must also work hard in school), they learned not to care about material things like which car we drive, what clothes they wear.

I am convinced that for my kids (17 and 15) this is the experience of their life. They will be fluent in English and Spanish, and will have learned another way of life/living.Learned other values of life. My son (17) is convinced that he will go back to Belgium. My daughter is keeping all the options open.

Here family and friends are more important, you can call a friend during the week even at work and he will make time for you. When you want to dine out with friends you call them and arrange to go that same day (in Belgium you book weeks - months!! in advance!!).

Here you don't get fired or you don't miss a deal when you are stuck in traffic, and you don't have to stress because you have to do some grocery shopping as the shops open till 22h (in Belgium all closes at 18h). There is no excuse to have an empty fridge here.

We earn in Euros, so we live a good life here, although school is very expensive here and so is medical care, we still live on 50% of the budget we used in Belgium. Above this we can afford a maid who really brings my quality of life up.

If I were you, I woudn't hesitate and move abroud, work there for a couple of years and experience the life in the 1st world, make money, friends, contacts. Then you will know what you miss, and if you miss it. I always say, the only thing you regret in live are the decissions you didn't take. If you decide to stay here, you will always wonder what it would have been like if you had gone abroud.... I kow several Argentines that went abroud to work, and they all came back. Happy.

If I were Argentine and young and had the opportunity to live and work somewhere else I would be out of here at the speed of sound. With the problems here, low wages, lack of opportunities, it would be the smart move.

The people responding here for the most part get their money from somewhere else. If they were forced to make a living here on local wages they would be long gone.

gouchobob said:
If I were Argentine and young and had the opportunity to live and work somewhere else I would be out of here at the speed of sound. With the problems here, low wages, lack of opportunities, it would be the smart move.

The people responding here for the most part get their money from somewhere else. If they were forced to make a living here on local wages they would be long gone.

I agree, go to Europe, work, save money, look for oportunities, come back with a saving account (better leave it there) or oportunities...

We would not have moved here if we had to earn in pesos!!

@Andiana
I second tylor84 about quality of life. I love my life here because of the phrase “Está todo bien, Emily” and “No pasa nada.” I would get uptight and stressed about crazy things would happen and everyone else would be so calm about mini daily crises, like when our building flooded from a busted pipe. I wondered what these people were smoking to be so calm! Eventually, it has worn off on me and I don't worry about always doing everything just so.

And to boot, Buenos Aires has amazing historical architecture everywhere, not just in the city center. There is amazingly chic, modern design and fashion everywhere. The sense of humor is great, and I love, love Argentineans’ creative ways with castellano.

But I think going to any new country you have your own experience and it makes you have new insights into the ways you have been formed by your own surroundings, whether it be family or culture. You learn to appreciate old things you took for granted and learn to love new one. It is well worth it to get outside the daily grind and look at life square in the face, meet new people. And if you have an EU passport you have it made because you can get legal work along the way to get yourself established while looking for professional work. So GO! The worst that can happen is you will learn you love home more!

Beautiful house, Steve! When’s the housewarming parilla at your house!? Haha!

Argentina is the land of oportunity for many new immigrants who have done much better here than they would ever dream of in Europe and the USA ,I know many chinese immigrants here who have successful businesses and own property in a matter of 5 years . Would they have had the same success in Europe I doubt it very much.

I do not agree with gouchobob and his patronising comments about our country. In the USA the minimum wage is not mucher higher than in Buenos Aires and of course medical care in the USA is much more expensive bankrupting many a family.

Most people earn 2500 pesos per month or more , of course that is not going to give you luxury but it will buy you food and a few good nights out. I am sure though you will have much more chance of getting employment in Argentina than in the USA or Europe atm where the situation is dire .

Anyone who wants to find work in BA will with a concerted effort and a positive attitude .

I havent posted here for some time but some of you may remember me. Im argentine, but now im not even in BA.

I´ve been leaving in Vienna for the past month. I moved here for now particular reason other than learning the language and having the experience of living abroad.

Truth be told, I cant find many defects to the city. Its clean, safe, public transportation is efficient, and the people is mostly polite. There are however small anoying things like the fact that everything closes at 18.00 hs, or some behaviour of the people that, while polite here, it would be considered very rude in Argentina.

The only bad thing so far is that I seemed to have overestimated the use of english here. I was under the impression that almost everyone who was relatively young would speak english. And because of that, i wouldnt have problems in getting a job. But unfortunatly practically every job (even dishwasher!!) requires you to have "excellent Deutschkentnnise". So no job so far....

Still, I think its a great eye openning experience, but i dont see myself living here.

Back