An interesting twist on pensions funds saga

pericles said:
I find the American Judges decision wrong and it sets a dangerous precendent . There are many people who are owed money in this world and to just seize someones assets to be seized allows cowboy diplomacy to flourish.

What United Kingdom did to Iceland recently was another case of this lunacy and it is creating a divided world run by the Richer Bullies.

Can't say I understand your logic. People use courts to get collect debts, enforce contracts, etc., i.e. to reslove disputes using the rule of law. The only bullies in this case are organizations like the Argentine government who have refused to settle their valid debts or abide by the run of law. This has nothing to do with cowboy or any other type of diplomacy.

pericles said:
Why then does your your country not respect international bodies like the United Nations and European Union and many others?

Countries that bomb other countries without diplomacy and against all rules of international law are now preaching others about LAW.

Hipocrates said it right.

Well I think you are getting way away from the point. There are judgements in the U.S., Europe, and other countries around the world. Argentine government assets in any of these places is subject to seizure if creditors could get their hands on them. This is why they don't use the presidential planes when flying overseas. This is well established in international law. If there wasn't any legal process in place to force people or other entities to pay their debts all lending would simply stop around the world.

If people in Argentina were owed money by some entity in the states they could take their case to court in the U.S. and get a judgement and collect the money. They could also sieze assets in Argentina that belonged to the U.S. entity.

People can't bring legal action against the Argentine government in Argentina as the courts are not independent and there is no rule of law that the government feels obliged to abide by.

pericles said:
What United Kingdom did to Iceland recently was another case of this lunacy and it is creating a divided world run by the Richer Bullies.

The UK government acted to protect the savings of UK citizens. Hardly lunacy...

Think this is just an example of casa rosada stupidity.

If you owe someone a ton of money and have no intention of paying them back, don't leave bags of money in their house and assume they're safe.

jp said:
Think this is just an example of casa rosada stupidity.

If you owe someone a ton of money and have no intention of paying them back, don't leave bags of money in their house and assume they're safe.
Mama said "Stupid is as stupid does."

ForrestGump.jpg

Back