Antibody test?

jeff1234

Registered
Has anyone heard anything about when we might be able to get tested for antibodies?
Some percentage of us are probably immune but won't know until we can get tested for antibodies.

There is no scientific evidence of immunity yet. In fact there have been numerous cases of re-infection indicating it probably has a “short” immunity memory like most common coronavirus’. WHO continues to issue strong warnings against giving people potentially false hope of immunity.

But I’m curious to know if I was exposed when in Europe earlier in the year and would love to have one.

There was some anti-body testing being done at train stations recently but it has stopped now. There are now locally produced kits but they will only be distributed to the government who has yet to announce a testing program.

There is no scientific evidence of immunity yet. In fact there have been numerous cases of re-infection indicating it probably has a “short” immunity memory like most common coronavirus’. WHO continues to issue strong warnings against giving people potentially false hope of immunity.

[/QUOTE

I've heard this but there is wide discussion about herd immunity which seems to imply that antibodies do prevent recurrence. And there are articles like this one from the BBC that talks about adaptive immune response possibly giving protection:

Our immune system is the body's defence against infection and it comes in two parts.

The first is always ready to go and leaps into action as soon as any foreign invader is detected in the body. It is known as the innate immune response and includes the release of chemicals that cause inflammation and white blood cells that can destroy infected cells.

But this system is not specific to coronavirus. It will not learn and it will not give you immunity to the coronavirus.

Instead you need the adaptive immune response. This includes cells that produce targeted antibodies that can stick to the virus in
order to stop it and T cells that can attack just the cells infected with the virus, called the cellular response.
This takes time - studies suggest it takes around 10 days to start making antibodies that can target the
coronavirus and the sickest patients develop the strongest immune response.
If the adaptive immune response is powerful enough, then it could leave a lasting memory of the infection that
will give protection in the future.

It is not known if people who have only mild symptoms, or none at all, will develop a sufficient adaptive
immune response.

I'm pretty sure that I was exposed in Vietnam in January and since everyday brings new information about C-19 I'm hoping that I'll get lucky.

Last edited:

This is incorrect. Most people exposed to the Cov-SAR-2 will get some sort of immunity. This corona virus belongs to a well-known family of viruses, which we know yield "immunity" for at least 1-2 years for most people. There have been a handful of cases where people got "reinfected" very soon after testing negative BUT it's almost certain that the overwhelming majority of cases were false negatives. The virus viral load had diminished below the threshold the test could detect it but was still in the system and eventually relapsed.

If you get Covid-19 most experts believe you'd be resistant to getting infected again for about 12-18 months if not more. By then there should be an effective vaccine.

This is incorrect. Most people exposed to the Cov-SAR-2 will get some sort of immunity. This corona virus belongs to a well-known family of viruses, which we know yield "immunity" for at least 1-2 years for most people. There have been a handful of cases where people got "reinfected" very soon after testing negative BUT it's almost certain that the overwhelming majority of cases were false negatives. The virus viral load had diminished below the threshold the test could detect it but was still in the system and eventually relapsed.

If you get Covid-19 most experts believe you'd be resistant to getting infected again for about 12-18 months if not more. By then there should be an effective vaccine.

https://www.npr.org/sections/corona...covered-covid-19-patients-are-immune-who-says

https://www.who.int/news-room/commentaries/detail/immunity-passports-in-the-context-of-covid-19

"some sort of immunity" is not proven immunity. There are studies for it, there are studies against it, there are even studies saying Llama spit can hold the cure. Imagine if everyone thinks it lasts 12 months, but it actually lasts 6 months or the virus mutates like the common flu and everyone starts getting sick all over again. There are no guarantees of an effective vaccine until there is an effective vaccine. Dangerous assumptions to make when dealing with a public health matter.

https://www.npr.org/sections/corona...covered-covid-19-patients-are-immune-who-says

https://www.who.int/news-room/commentaries/detail/immunity-passports-in-the-context-of-covid-19

"some sort of immunity" is not proven immunity. There are studies for it, there are studies against it, there are even studies saying Llama spit can hold the cure. Imagine if everyone thinks it lasts 12 months, but it actually lasts 6 months or the virus mutates like the common flu and everyone starts getting sick all over again. There are no guarantees of an effective vaccine until there is an effective vaccine. Dangerous assumptions to make when dealing with a public health matter.

Yes there are 'evidence'. Science is based on assumptions and best guesses, called theories. When there are no "evidence" science uses observations and proxies to extrapolate. What "evidence" do you have to say gravity is real? There are still people who reject gravity because it's based on observations. Maybe we are being pushed down by God?

The Cov-Sars-2 is a virus very similar to Cov-Sars-1 and the other 3 know corona viruses. Those have been studied and we know they generate a decent length immunity. Period.

Tell it to the WHO and Ministry of Health, I guess...

When there are two opposing theories regarding a “new” virus and a lack of time having passed to prove who is ”right” regarding COVID-19, I would agree with the WHO and err on the side of caution at this point in time. Doesn’t mean it won’t change in the future but I won’t be risking the health of others in our community with my own “self-confidence” in the meantime if I found out I already have anti-bodies.

W
Tell it to the WHO and Ministry of Health, I guess...

When there are two opposing theories regarding a “new” virus and a lack of time having passed to prove who is ”right” regarding COVID-19, I would agree with the WHO and err on the side of caution at this point in time. Doesn’t mean it won’t change in the future but I won’t be risking the health of others in our community with my own “self-confidence” in the meantime if I found out I already have anti-bodies.

W

They were telling the world there was a risk of pandemic since 30th January 2020. The world didn’t want to hear. By the way, “Pandemic” just means it is already in every country. It doesn’t change any of their advice prior to that while it was still making its way around the world. But it’s convenient for politicians who failed to act to hide behind.

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/events-as-they-happen

They were telling the world there was a risk of pandemic since 30th January 2020. The world didn’t want to hear. By the way, “Pandemic” just means it is already in every country. It doesn’t change any of their advice prior to that while it was still making its way around the world. But it’s convenient for politicians who failed to act to hide behind.

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/events-as-they-happen

The WHO is a joke. It's not their fault. They are severely underfunded and understaffed. No major government actually pays attention to what comes of their offices in Geneva. None. I repeat, it's not their fault. They are trying to remain relevant and issue a statement once in awhile but their credibility is pretty much non-existent. Hopefully, in the future we can set up a beefed up WHO that really matters. But that will cost us $$$.

P.S. Up until a few weeks ago that same WHO advised agains the use of 'barijos' by the general public...even claiming it's dangerous.

Back