Any Barefoot Runners out there?

TexanPaul

Registered
I've been following the whole running shoe debate for the last several years including research in biomechanics, etc. I finally just read Born to Run and I'm inspired--picked up a pair of Vibram Five Fingers and would like to meet up with some others to run with and help correct my running form. POSE method? 100 up? Do these ring a bell?

I'm almost healed up from an MCL sprain from a few months ago--part of the reason I'm making the switch...had several overuse injuries over the years that seem to stem from traditional heel-striking ("traditional" at least since the 1970's--that's when Nike got into the running shoe biz).

I can be reached at [email protected]

Related question, can you get those 'shoes' anywhere here in BA?

I've never seen Vibram Five Fingers in BA (and if they were you would be better off buying them in the US to save about $100 I'd imagine). I brought down a pair with me. I don't use them though, I use a pair of Nike racing flats (Zoom Streak model) that get me less funny looks. They are still lacking a huge heel cushion, which allows me to fore-foot strike as barefoot runners do. What is important in injury reduction is form, not the actual type of minimal shoe you wear. You can't get the correct form if you are wearing huge cushioned running shoes. If you're interested: http://barefootrunning.fas.harvard.edu/

I have been running comptetivly for the past year or so. I have won a few triathalons and recently made the switch to the vibram five finger shoes. Best thing i have ever done. you need to go slow and build up your milage though. I was in really good running shape and did a three mile run with them and couldnt walkd for a week because i was so sore

I saw a pair of minimal shoes at Merrill, but like LaurenW mentioned, I haven't been able to find Vibram Five Fingers in BA.

Thanks for the heads up, tjgarbis -- I've heard the same from quite a few peeps. You start engaging parts of your feet and calves that you've never really used before, right?

Hey Paul! I finished Born to Run last year and got myself a set of 5-fingers and gave it 3 or 4 months, starting off very slow and short distances, but I never got to the point where my (chronically tendonitised) achilles allowed me to go more than a couple of miles. So, now I'm back on my big cushy New Balance in which I can run basically as long as I want without pain. So, I think my suggestion to you might be to think about waiting until you're 100% recovered from that MCL before trying the barefoot. Making the switch is going to stress your legs in ways that you've never experienced before, and you want to be totally ready in order to be successful.
The 100-up excercise seems like a good way of getting in shape and accustomed to toe-striking, but I personally could not have done anything other than toe-strike in the 5-fingers, as a heel-strike was instant pain. I now toe-strike (in my New Balance) for as long as my achilles can handle it, but once I start to feel that familiar twinge, I am able to transition to a heel-strike which immediately takes the pressure off my achilles and allows me to rest it for a few minutes before I begin toe-striking again. You should absolutely go for it though - those who successfully make the transition swear by it, I'd love to be part of that crowd. Let me know how it goes!
Best,
Charlie

First of all: Omg I'm actually THRILLED that I was able to find someone who have read Born to Run here in Buenos Aires! Seriously, I'm like jumping on my chair out of excitement! haha I've been rereading it now after having injury after injury last year and I'm falling in love with it all over again! I've ordered my Vibrams online (mercadolibre.com.ar) and they were actually quite cheap ($390 pesos + $30 pesos for the delivery). I think they might take 3 weeks to get here and I can't wait to try them out.
A little over 2 weeks ago, I started having a little pain in one of the parts of the deltoid ligament on my left foot; after 2 whole weeks of RICE, I went for a jog to see how my foot was and got really frustrated to see that the pain was still there. As I was feeling terrible having to walk back instead of run, I saw the bridge over Dorrego with Av. Figuero Alcorta and something clicked. Took my shoes off and ran over it. Once, twice, three times, four times. I had to consciously stop myself from running. I can't explain what it did to me, but it has changed me completely. I had ZERO pain. I felt light. Fast.

As soon as I put the shoes back, the pain was there - again. Coincidence?

I've been running over that bridge about 3 times/week (it's safe there 'cause there aren't any pieces of glass - which is epidemic here on the streets and sidewalks), kind of easing my transition 'till I get my Vibrams. Yesterday, I was supposed to run the 21K of Rosario, but had to run the 6.5K instead 'cause I couldn't train properly for the 21K due to the injury. I decided, last minute, to use my old Adidas instead - they might have a little over 1300 miles on them - and it felt really good! I can't believe my new Mizuno Proficiency that costed me a fortune and is 2 months old was actually doing me more harm than good.

There are people drop shipping the fiver fingers on mercardolibre for quite an increase in price!

I did pick up a pair of fakes from china that arrived about a month after I ordered them.

They're pretty comfy not sure how good they compared to the real thing though.

After some problems with my regular running shoes, and having read Born To Run, I bought some new shoes last time I was up north. None of the people I talked to (i.e. Running pros at the shops, forums, etc) recommended going barefoot, or 5finger immediately.

I bought some Brooks running shoes, and a pair of vibram (not 5 fingers), in order to make a comfortable transition. If anyone out there is looking to make the change, I highly recommend Brooks, as they have padding like your typical running shoe, but not so much heel. And also they are much, much lighter.

On a side note, Bs As is a great city for runners. Almost every weekend there are 8k, 10k races, half marathons and such.

Dipperus

Back