Anyone make their own yogurt??

allcraz

Registered
I need something with live cultures, right? This must exist but not sure where to start. If anyone is a yogurt expert, I'd appreciate your input.

I do, it's very easy.

You just heat up one liter of milk until is warm, not hot. A good measure is to put your clean finger in it and be able to have in there for ten seconds without getting uncomfortable or burnt.
Then you mix in a bowl the warm milk and one unflavored yogurt. Here you find Yogs (Sancor) and Dahi. You can also use the natural Activia which is unflavored but sweetened, it depends on wheter you're gona eat it sweet or not.

You cover the bowl with some dishtowels or a heavy towel and you let it sit overnight.

The next morning you'll have yogurt.

After researching a bit more I've found 2 different recipes written by people here in BsAs. One using just milk and "natural yogurt" (SanCor Yogs? Never tried it.) Sounds too easy.

Another talking about "yogurt bulgaro" made with a "bolita"? bought at the Casa China dietetica at Arribeños 2173 (Belgrano).

Any experience with either process?

bebero said:
I do, it's very easy.

You just heat up one liter of milk until is warm, not hot. A good measure is to put your clean finger in it and be able to have in there for ten seconds without getting uncomfortable or burnt.
Then you mix in a bowl the warm milk and one unflavored yogurt. Here you find Yogs (Sancor) and Dahi. You can also use the natural Activia which is unflavored but sweetened, it depends on wheter you're gona eat it sweet or not.

You cover the bowl with some dishtowels or a heavy towel and you let it sit overnight.

The next morning you'll have yogurt.

Thank you. I'll have to try it. How do you make sure it stays warm enough in order to thicken?

Any tips on how to make the yogurt really tangy? I much prefer that to thick creamy yogurt.

allcraz said:
Thank you. I'll have to try it. How do you make sure it stays warm enough in order to thicken?

You don't have to, with having it covered is enough. It does help if you leave it in a warmish area of your apartment, but is not necessary as long as it's out of the fridge.

CarlyB said:
Any tips on how to make the yogurt really tangy? I much prefer that to thick creamy yogurt.

It turns out pretty tangy, very thick yogurt usually has corn starch or some other stabilizer.

I use to make yoghurt this way.

Add 2 tablespoon of natural yoghurt (what you buy in supermarket) to 2 tablespoon of skim milk power and mix. Let this warm at room temp while heating and cooling the milk.

Heat up a lt of milk. If using natural un-pasturised milk, heat up until it forms a skim on top.. dont boil though.. then let it cool until its body temp (36-38c). If you are using the standard 1lt pasturised milk you buy here from supermarket, just heat to body temp. You can do this with a pot with water in, then another container inside that with the milk in it. Will prevent the milk from burning.

Add the naturnal yoghurt mixture to the milk (when cooled) and mix in.

Put in a warm place over night. I use to put in hotwater cupboard in an insulated container - like a wide top soup thermos. You could also put it in an oven that has a pilot light going, or on top of the instant water heaters that have a pilot light going all the time.

You will find there is a yellow liquid on top.. you can either pour this off, or mix it in. It is just the whey.

It is tangy, so you can add sugar to sweeten, or i would add fruit. I would boil up strawberries, until it was a think mixture.

marcopolo said:
By any chance does anyone know how to make Greek-style yoghurt?

Line a sieve with cheesecloth, muslin or even a coffee filter.

Place the sieve over a bowl.

Pour the yogurt into the sieve, place them in the fridge and leave for a few hours to drain.

Discard the liquid in the bowl and enjoy the thicker, creamier Greek yogourt.

Leave it longer and you will get a lovely thick creamy cheese you can spread or use for many other uses.

Back