Anyone make their own yogurt??

I found these instructions with a quick google search for make your own greek yogurt.
http://www.happysimpleliving.com/2011/03/06/make-your-own-homemade-greek-yogurt/

It's pretty much the same as the other instructions but you have to strain the yogurt after it's made. This is what makes Greek yogurt so creamy and also healthy. Just make sure to use low-fat or non-fat milk. In the U.S. Greek yogurt is sold as a non-fat product with lots of protein, but you'd have to find good skim milk here in order to make the same.

rockinkaj said:
Line a sieve with cheesecloth, muslin or even a coffee filter.

Place the sieve over a bowl.

Pour the yogurt into the sieve, place them in the fridge and leave for a few hours to drain.

Discard the liquid in the bowl and enjoy the thicker, creamier Greek yogourt.

Leave it longer and you will get a lovely thick creamy cheese you can spread or use for many other uses.

Greek Yogurt (Yiaourti)
Recipe from the Traditional Greek Cooking by George Moudiotis. Greek style yogurt is thicker and creamier with a higher fat content than typical yogurts found in the U.S. Typical fat content of the cow's milk yogurt is 9% as opposed the U.S. yogurts are less than 4% fat.

Ingredients
1 litre (2-1/4 pints) of full-fat milk
2 to 3 tablespoons of commercial plain yoghurt or
home-made yoghurt (room temperature) mixed with a few tablespoons of milk

Instructions
Bring milk to just under boiling point and then pour the milk into a glass or earthenware dish. Let the milk cool to about 42°C/104°F. Pour the yogurt/milk mixture into the milk carefully without disturbing the skin that may have formed on the surface of the milk. Cover with a cloth, place in a warm, draft-free place for 8 to 12 hours or overnight, and do not disturb it until the yoghurt thickens. Drain any excess liquid and store in the fridge for 4 to 5 days.

To make a "thick" yoghurt, remove the skin on the surface of the yoghurt just made and pour the yoghurt into a muslin bag. Hang the bag over a bowl and let drain for about 2 hours or until the desired thickness is obtained. :D

Hi
Heat up 1 lt of milk and turn off when about to boil let it for a while and when you can put a clean finger without getting burn add 1 yougur without flavour and if you like Greek yogur you can add the same amount of cream, let sit overnight and next morning you have a delicious Greek yogur, make sure that when you add the yogur milk is not so hot.
Reina

I've made regular yogurt with just using a pot of bought yogurt with live cultures in it. It isn't very tangy and doesn't need any stabilizers or thickeners. The first day it's a bit runny. But the next it's nice & thick.

I brought this yoghurt machine from belgium, i suppose they sell it here too.

You put 1 little jar of natural yogurt without sugar in a can and add whole milk upto 1 liter. Mix well. Put in the machine before you go to bed, and in the mornng you have delicious firm yogurt that only needs to be chilled, put sugar or fruits in it and yummie yummie!

You can go to a "Dietetica" (a naturist shop) and ask for a powder they call "Yogurt en Polvo", it's basically dried cultures. A pack that costs 30 pesos can last a year.

katti said:
I brought this yoghurt machine from belgium, i suppose they sell it here too.

You put 1 little jar of natural yogurt without sugar in a can and add whole milk upto 1 liter. Mix well. Put in the machine before you go to bed, and in the mornng you have delicious firm yogurt that only needs to be chilled, put sugar or fruits in it and yummie yummie!

Always wanted one of those! Must get one when I get back.

Just wanted to say that the homemade yogurt has been a success! Thank you for all your input!

Back