Apartment Expenses For Worn Out Blind

When I first moved here I lived in temporary apartments. I had one I lived in for a couple of months that had a couple of inexpensive fake leather chairs with arms and backs. One time, I sat down with something in my pocket (a pen? Don't remember) and it punctured a hole in it. That's not normal wear and tear and I had the one chair recovered for the owner. The owner never even knew that the chair had been damaged. That was the only apartment I didn't have issues with of some sort, when I left, as far as I can remember.

I lived in a long-term rental for 4 years in my last apartment. At some time in the past, before we even moved in, the carpet in the dining room had been cut up to make repairs to pipes in the floor. When we originally rented the apartment, they had covered this area with cardboard (along with other areas), ostensibly so that people looking at the apartment to rent it wouldn't ruin the carpet walking on it with their shoes. When we moved in, we found the off-colored patches (it was beige carpeting and some of the patches even had a pinkish hue to them) under the cardboard in the dining room and immediately notified the inmobiliaria who was managing the property (the owner was a diplomat working overseas for Cristina's government and we never saw him until later). Over time, the bad patch job that whoever had performed on the carpet was coming apart at the seams. When we moved out, the owner had returned to Argentina and inspected the apartment and blamed the bad carpet on us and wanted us to replace the entire carpet in the dining room, living room and front hallway, which were all interconnected. I literally laughed.

While in that apartment, we had plumbers out to fix the toilet fixtures many, many times. The toilets used direct in-line valves for the flushing mechanisms, like you find in public bathrooms, i.e, no tanks. They must have been something like 30 years old. The valves leaked often and would get to the point where you had to manipulate the handle to make it flush. Plumbers had a hard time finding the parts for the valves because this particular model wasn't made any more. At one point we paid to have new parts machined.

We never got our deposit back because of the carpet, no matter that we tried to repair everything else that we felt was normal wear and tear, even though I felt we went above and beyond with certain things, like the toilets. I should have pursued this further with renters' rights organizations but I never did.

In our current apartment we agree with the owners that things like the ballasts on the incandescent lights are not normal wear and tear; these are things that have a certain lifetime and is the responsibility of the owners to replace. Even while agreeing, we have been waiting some 6 months to get them replaced because they can't get an electrician to come out (we found out from the last electrician [who they suggested and we were paying] who came out to work on the kitchen after the fire that they don't pay their bills). The lack of lights in this particular area isn't a big problem, but I'm probably going to have to replace the ballasts myself. Just after outlaying so much cash to get the apartment back to snuff after the fire, I've been trying to get them to do their part.

You never know what's going to get you, it all depends on the owner and so much of the "normal wear and tear" can be subjective, or at least argued on the part of the owner. Some of it is obviously not normal and shouldn't be placed on the renter, but sometimes you have to do what you need to do to be comfortable in the place you're renting.

One thing that seems weird to me is that we've lived in our apartment here for almost 9 years and my furniture does not look worn out. And the same goes for the furniture in my other homes in the past, maybe I got tired of living with the same stuff and got rid of it, but not worn out. What did you do to that sofa?
Nancy

Well, the apartment was fully furnished. Nothing happened to the Sommier, the wooden flooring, the bathroom tiles, the kitchen, the curtains, the table, the shelves, the lights, the walls etc etc

My point being I was not some problematic irresponsible tenant.

Regarding Sofa. There are different types of Sofa. Some Sofas have such color and material..that they are almost heavy duty. No matter how you sit on them as long you dont actually try to destroy them - nothing will happen to them. Some Sofas are more delicate or of very poor make/quality/fabric. They are more like a peace of ornament in the apartment and not really meant to be used. That sofa was of that type. My only fault was that I used it for sitting consistently for 3 years. No kids/guests in my house. And I am not heavy weight either. The sofa ( semi-cuero) first developed cracks. Then started getting torn on the cracks. Cos it was cream colored - it lost its shine as well.

Hope I was able to answer some of your doubts?

On a side not, sometimes if your apartment has central heating ( loza radiente ) it dries out almost everything: fabrics, wood, wiring, etc so it sometimes "contributes" to the cheap quality of some items.

I am a landlord in FL and i am constantly paying for repairs, I guess tenants in the US are happier (?) I am a tenant in BsAs, and except for one landlord that was always willing to fix whatever without even asking, it is always a struggle.
Please rent from me :)

you cannot compare regular leases to touristic ( apples and oranges ) the real question is, was your touristic rental overpriced when compared to similar touristic rentals?

Yes, I can compare touristic and regular rentals.

Reason -

1. I have lived in BA for many years and have a extremely good idea about real prices and touristic prices.
2. I still live in the same building. I can compare all avbl prices.
3. Argentine landlords are making a killing with touristic rentals cos its so tough for a average foreigner to rent a long term apartment without a garantia. They are aware if it and they thrive only and only cos of it.

Not sure how you showed your appreciation for his #2.
I appreciated that the landlord never took any safety deposit from me

I showed my appreciation by agreeing to pay for "damaged" sofa though I disagreed that I had "damaged" it. However, things went wrong when he took me for granted and returned with the cost of repair of the sofa after 7 months!!

IF one is sure they will be staying in Argentina or coming and going frequently, this is an argument for thinking about buying an apartment here. I did so 8 years ago (I've been living here full time) and am thankful almost on a daily basis that I did that. Things get fixed when they're broken and replaced when they need replacement and I live with things the way I want them to be. I realize that not everyone can afford to buy a place, but I used a home equity loan on a property in the US to buy my place here. I know also people are afraid to buy here because they are concerned about being able to get their money out. However I've had friends sell their places in the last two years and get their money out no problem.
Sadly I've just put my apartment up for sale as its time for me to return to the US. I couldn't see living in a tourist rental ever if it were for more than a few weeks. It's hard enough living here year round...add to that these kind of landlord problems...I don't think I could have stayed as long as I did if it weren't for my owning my own place. But if your only option is to rent I would really nurture the relationship with my landlord and the building Portero. Even have them for dinner, etc. In the end it MIGHT make a huge difference. I only had one rental experience before buying my apartment, but we became friends and when I did leave there were zero problems, security deposit and all.

IF one is sure they will be staying in Argentina or coming and going frequently, this is an argument for thinking about buying an apartment here.

Absolutely agree with you. Still paying mortgage back home in my home country. But I agree. Its a big hassle dealing with arrogant landlords.

Back