Apartment listed with multiple brokers- is this normal?

ashleylynn

Registered
My partner (an Argentinian, albeit one who's spent the last several years living in the EU) and I are looking for an apartment in Palermo or similar areas, short term, but ideally available for at least 6 months.

We found a place we like, and it appears to have been sitting empty for the past month or more, as it's been listed no less than 6 times by 3 different brokers with wildly different USD prices (understandable given how much rental laws, the election, inflation has changed the circumstances in the last 3 months).

But, how normal is it for an apartment to be listed for rent with multiple brokers at the same time?

The broker we contacted says they have an agreement to rent, but don't have the keys to show the apartment, and haven't gotten a response from the owner after we asked a question about the payment options Friday. It seems like the owner could be ghosting the agreement, as the other broker just updated their listing and added 400 to the asking price.

My partner (an Argentinian, albeit one who's spent the last several years living in the EU) and I are looking for an apartment in Palermo or similar areas, short term, but ideally available for at least 6 months.

We found a place we like, and it appears to have been sitting empty for the past month or more, as it's been listed no less than 6 times by 3 different brokers with wildly different USD prices (understandable given how much rental laws, the election, inflation has changed the circumstances in the last 3 months).

But, how normal is it for an apartment to be listed for rent with multiple brokers at the same time?

The broker we contacted says they have an agreement to rent, but don't have the keys to show the apartment, and haven't gotten a response from the owner after we asked a question about the payment options Friday. It seems like the owner could be ghosting the agreement, as the other broker just updated their listing and added 400 to the asking price.
Hilarious. I'd run from that place.

Hilarious. I'd run from that place.
Not necessarily.

I had my apartment listed on Argenprop. I was then contacted by a real estate agency who asked me whether they can list my apartment in their agency. I don’t have any contractual relationship with them. If they would have someone interested, they get in touch with me. The fee the client is paying to the agency, is none of my concern.

“Ofrecemos Publicar sus propiedades en todas las Redes Sociales, Páginas y portales Inmobiliarios pagos a cargo de nuestra empresa.
Nuestra Gestión NO ocasiona ningún gasto a usted y tampoco le exigimos exclusividad.“

Thanks for the advice, it seems wild to be listing with multiple brokers at once, but I'm not super familiar with local regulations. They said they had an agreement to list with the owner at the lower price, but wasn't sure how enforceable or committed that is.

I don't think I'd consider anything to be a major red flag, just more of an annoyance. We asked a question Friday, but told the broker we wouldn't be available to act on anything until today at the earliest, so its not like there has been no communication for an extended period, and the broker might have been waiting to hear back from us today in case we weren't serious.

Debating if its worth trying to message the other broker as their listing got updated within the last day or two. We would be low balling their newly listed price for sure. I'm not paying their newly listed price when I've seen them list it $400 less multiple times (or consult for price) with no luck. Maybe the idea of guaranteed income for 6 months would be compelling enough.

Most of their older listings have been removed, but we've been keeping an eye out on properties in the area for a while, and it does look like the short term rental market is a bit oversaturated for now. The apartment we left at the end of October is already on the market again, and for a lower price so at least we've got a fallback plan.

If San Temo is an option for you, and you like the apartment, send me a msg. Would be - situation now - available as of end of Jan.

If San Temo is an option for you, and you like the apartment, send me a msg. Would be - situation now - available as of end of Jan.

Lovely place! That's got a ton of character and the office at the end of the video would be a dream. If there's not a bidet hiding behind camera in the corner of one of those bathrooms I'd never hear the end of it though :D

We really want to stay in Palermo again this trip (maybe Belgrano/Recoleta), so not a good fit for us this time around. My budget is also still limited by the fact I'm still renting in the US as well this year.

Back