Apartment size - square meters

David, I know you've had a rough go with your business (and believe me, I get it) but I don't think this is an example of dishonesty in business. Like mariposa said, I'm also a NYer and generally the apts I had there quoted actual space in the apt - wall to wall - not living space (although none included outside hall space but closets/bathrooms yes).

At any rate, certainly not unique to Argentina. And most real-estate offices I've been to used the apt specs to calculate apt size, not living space.

citygirl said:
David, I know you've had a rough go with your business (and believe me, I get it) but I don't think this is an example of dishonesty in business. Like mariposa said, I'm also a NYer and generally the apts I had there quoted actual space in the apt - wall to wall - not living space (although none included outside hall space but closets/bathrooms yes).

At any rate, certainly not unique to Argentina. And most real-estate offices I've been to used the apt specs to calculate apt size, not living space.

Hi citygirl, honestly this issue is not related to the hard time I have had in Buenos Aires, it has to do with crappy real estate professionals (if you can call them that) in Argentina. I've bought and sold 2 properties here and they were not overstated in the square meters or dimensions of the rooms either time. There are a few good and completely honest realtors here, but you have to look for them The living space / dimensions being correct is not the experience I had in New York. I worked with Brown Harris Stevens realty and they do not operate that way.

Steve mentioned in his posting that when he sold is unit in Nuñez he explained the issue to his potential buyers. I know he worked with Perry on his deal. Maybe people should start working this way and there won't be so much distrust?

In NZ when they say a house is 250 square metres they are referring to the total floor area - which includes walls etc... bascially the size of the concrete pad the house is build on, including attached garaging, but excluding patio areas etc. But with bedrooms, when they say it is 3 x 3 m, they are saying the floor area of the room, excluding built in wardrobes or walk in wardrobes, basically the usuable floor space. Bathrooms and kitchens etc are measured wall to wall, so the counters are included in the size.

I find it interesting that they including belconies in the apartment sizes in BA.

davonz said:
I find it interesting that they including belconies in the apartment sizes in BA.

Though most real estate ads and listings only state the total meters (including balconies), there are two ways to indicate the actual size of the apartment:

M2 CUBIERTOS: This is the interior footprint (including walls).

M2 SEMI-CUBIERTOS: This includes balconies and patios.

davonz said:
In NZ when they say a house is 250 square metres they are referring to the total floor area - which includes walls etc... bascially the size of the concrete pad the house is build on, including attached garaging, but excluding patio areas etc. But with bedrooms, when they say it is 3 x 3 m, they are saying the floor area of the room, excluding built in wardrobes or walk in wardrobes, basically the usuable floor space. Bathrooms and kitchens etc are measured wall to wall, so the counters are included in the size.

I totally agree. This is how it should be done and reputable real estate agencies operate this way. You can't "fake" square meters, we are not talking about an orgasm here.

Back