** Apartment/Tango Info Sought**

LaCalecita

Registered
Hi Everyone!

Thrilled to find this site...
I'm a 23 year old Hawaii native, lived in NYC for 5 years, worked in PR/Marketing for W Hotels, now living in Waikiki, Honolulu but relocating to BsAs to pursue my passion for tango until my savings are depleted (I arrive in Dec).
My Argentine friends in NYC recommended Las Canitas and Palermo Soho as ideal neighborhoods, citing them as near counterparts to my favorite NYC neighborhoods of SoHo/Tribeca/Nolita. I've browsed quite a few rental websites, but most seem to be pricier than they should be (geared to American pockets); my Argentine friends say I shouldn't be paying more than $300US a month for a one bedroom in Las Canitas or Palermo SoHo (don't need superluxury or anything). Is this accurate or have prices inflated? And what's the best way to find an apartment? Classifieds? Websites? Pounding the pavement and searching for vacancies in the neighborhoods? How frequently do landlords attempt to inflate prices for foreign tennants? Are there more vacancies in December because of summer (like in nyc)? I'm planning on staying in a hotel for the first week or so until I can find a place in palermo soho or las canitas. Would very much appreciate any advice on finding an apartment.

Also, any tangueras/tangueros in the group? I started Argentine tango on a complete whim and have been dancing for a year. Would love to hear your tango experiences. Looking forward to the milongas and immersing myself in the greater BsAs nightlife!

Price your argentine friends mention is based on a two-year lease agreement with a cosigner with property in Buenos Aires (garantia). It is considered to be a norm here, that's why they don't think about it as something special. If you are looking for a temporary rental and don't have a person who will sign the lease with you, then your price can easily be about twice more.

The law in Argentina is very much in favor of the tenant. There is very little trust in this society (for good reason) to begin with. In the case of rentals, owners have to be VERY careful. That is why co-signers are required for normal rentals in pesos (2 years). Co-signers are legally responsible for any damage and for unpaid rent. It is an ENORMOUS responsibility. If you can't find such a person to sign a two year lease (and there are no legal leases for less than two years) you will have to find an apartment priced in dollars for short term "rental". It is not unreasonable of Argentine owners to charge more for these rentals - though it is quite true that foreigners are routinely taken advantage of here. Your Argentine friends may be right that $300 or 900 pesos is an appropriate rent but only if it is a normal two year lease with a co-signer. Otherwise, you should expect to pay more. I suggest that you come here and look around. I believe December, January and February are high season for short term rentals as that is summer here and a time when people like to come to Argentina.

Your Argentine friends may be able to help you secure a more favorable rate. If they can help you deal directly with landlords and negotiate on your behalf it should help...some. If you go through a real estate or property management company you will pay "gringo" rates, which are significantly inflated. But be sure you can trust your Argentine friends if you don't speak excellent Spanish. Any paperwork will be in Spanish. And you will be at their mercy. And it would not be all that uncommon for such an "acquaintance" to take you to a friend of theirs with an apartment to rent, charge you way too much money for it, and split the profits. The business world in Argentina is a dog-eat-dog world.

just wanted to let you know that i subscribe to a newsletter and there are always tons of ads about ppl wanting to rent a room in their apartment or the whole aprtment. most of them are around U$300.
here is the website address. www.YesBA.org.
hope this helps.

Back