Apartment Zero Cult Anglo Argentine film

It's not a gay romance. It's a psychlogical drama with homoerotic undertones on the part of the Colin Firth character but to call it a romance is absurd.

What you perceived as Homoerotic undertones , Others read as a closet queen case suffering an Oedipus Complex , in a Platonic? relationship with a stud?

What you perceived as Homoerotic undertones , Others read as a closet queen case suffering an Oedipus Complex , in a Platonic? relationship with a stud?

The term "closet queen" is demeaning. Be that as it may, there is no sexual relationship them. An argument can be made that the Colin Firth character is suppressing homosexual inclinations but I'd also describe him as lonely more than anything else. And I believe it is the psychology of loneliness that plays the greatest role here. Yes, he has a kind of oedipal complex. It's an interesting film, especially to those of us connected to BA.

The term "closet queen" is demeaning. Be that as it may, there is no sexual relationship them. An argument can be made that the Colin Firth character is suppressing homosexual inclinations but I'd also describe him as lonely more than anything else. And I believe it is the psychology of loneliness that plays the greatest role here. Yes, he has a kind of oedipal complex. It's an interesting film, especially to those of us connected to BA.

This film was made in 1989 and over the years it has grown to be a cult film for cinema buffs worldwide . I believe that it portrays perfectly the Buenos Aires of that period and portrays perfectly the pecularities of the Porteño inhabitant . At that time Argentina was a conservative society on the outside but inside people were seething with unexplored desires . Porteños are one of the most analytical people on the planet and the term histerico is commonly associated with Buenos Aires . The personalities of the film are common in Argentina and for this reason I believe for american reviewers they would find it hard to relate to this film . Most argentinian people who have seen this film love it inmensely .

Last edited:
This film was made in 1989 and over the years it has grown to be a cult film for cinema buffs worldwide . I believe that it portrays perfectly the Buenos Aires of that period and portrays perfectly the pecularities of the Porteño inhabitant . At that time Argentina was a conservative society on the outside but inside people were seething with unexplored desires . Porteños are one of the most analytical people on the planet and the term histerico is commonly associated with Buenos Aires . The personalities of the film are common in Argentina and for this reason I believe for american reviewers they would find it hard to relate to this film . Most argentinian people who have seen this film love it inmensely .

I agree that many Amerikuns wouldn't appreciate the film. Also there are films from the US that Argentines wouldn't appreciate or even understand.

Back