Apples?

Fuyi

Registered
A month ago the apples I got from the supermarket were nice, crunchy, and generally pleasing. Now I guess the season is over and they're selling stock which looks new but actually is already weeks or months old, and they taste like shit.

Anyone know where to get decent red apples in capital?

your best bet is to starting buying produce regularly at your local greengrocers.
Fruit and veg is seasonal here with massive variations in quality, availability and price depending on the time of year. I've found that the best choices are found at local verdulerias...You may not be able to get exactly what you want but you can usually find the best "in season" goods there. You can also ask if red apples are available. I know mine will keep a look out when there is something specific I want.
I know the supermarkets are the most convenient places to buy. However, there doesn't seem to be any quality controls implemented and things tend to stay on shelves until they're visibly rotting! A few months ago, I found some avocados in Jumbo...all of which, on closer inspection, were liquid inside. The guy I spoke to about it wasn't at all bothered...The onions at my local supermarket are often swarming with flies as the stock gets low.

Verdurias, like Ashley said. I Bought a kilo yesterday and they are tasty!

I don't know about Argentina but typically the apples in Minnesota are best when fall hits and the temperatures are well below what they are now...

I would recommend going GREEN. They aren't a sweet, a bit more tart, but your chances of getting a crispy, juicy apple this time of the year are much better with a green apple.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Expat Life 28
B Expat Life 1
Back