Applying to UBA / Temporary Residency / VISA Q

Madams123

Registered
Hi all,

I’m a hopeful 21yo undergraduate transfer student from Canada who wants to continue his studies at the University of Buenos Aires (UBA) in the field of urban planning. I have a question about admissions/visa requirements.

UBA website says “International students coming from a foreign university must submit evidence of permanent or temporary resident status in the country. Candidates on a Tourist/Visitor visa will not be admitted. Without exception.”

1. I’m wondering how I can go about studying at UBA if I already have to have temporary residency but am required to list my student status on an application to obtain one in the first place?
2. And what to do if this is the case if I do not have annual passive income from Canada for the temporary residence permit, but do have money saved up?
3. How does the temporary residence permit work when you’re a student?
4. How do you upgrade from a tourist visa to a temporary residency?
5. Lastly, how long does the authentication/apostille process typically take?

The process is confusing and I hope someone may be able to assist if possible. Thank you.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I’m a hopeful 21yo undergraduate transfer student from Canada who wants to continue his studies at the University of Buenos Aires (UBA) in the field of urban planning. I have a question about admissions/visa requirements.

UBA website says “International students coming from a foreign university must submit evidence of permanent or temporary resident status in the country. Candidates on a Tourist/Visitor visa will not be admitted. Without exception.”

1. I’m wondering how I can go about studying at UBA if I already have to have temporary residency but am required to list my student status on an application to obtain one in the first place?
2. And what to do if this is the case if I do not have annual passive income from Canada for the temporary residence permit, but do have money saved up?
3. How does the temporary residence permit work when you’re a student?
4. How do you upgrade from a tourist visa to a temporary residency?
5. Lastly, how long does the authentication/apostille process typically take?

The process is confusing and I hope someone may be able to assist if possible. Thank you.
Reply to 5. It takes months to authenticate documents in Canada. It's getting better according to their website but it was ridiculous right after pandemic (several months).

For what it's worth, if transferring makes you jump through too many hoops, you might have noticed that UBA-FADU has a two-year planning masters. Could be easier to apply when you're not currently a student.

Also: hello from another urban planner! I'm working remotely for a US company at the moment, but if you do end up studying down here I'd be curious to hear about your experience of how planning processes here compare to those in Canada.

many threads on this topic around here. start by searching "student visa" and read up on some of them

this is one example: https://baexpats.org/threads/lookin...idency-as-a-student-at-una.45231/#post-425732
Hi - thank you so much. However, this doesn’t seem to clarify the dilemma I’m seeing in that in order to apply to the university in the first place I’d need temporary residency. Maybe I’m just confusing myself, lol!

But from what I’ve read in order to get temporary residence I’d need to prove being a student first, which would be impossible under the set guidelines?

TL/DR: How do I get temp. residency if it requires me being a student already when UBA requires me to already have residency to even apply?

For what it's worth, if transferring makes you jump through too many hoops, you might have noticed that UBA-FADU has a two-year planning masters. Could be easier to apply when you're not currently a student.

Also: hello from another urban planner! I'm working remotely for a US company at the moment, but if you do end up studying down here I'd be curious to hear about your experience of how planning processes here compare to those in Canada.
Thank you so much for the info, looking into it pronto! 😊

I’m still early in my undergraduate degree (1.5yrs in) but am very hopeful for this opportunity to work out.

Briefly, I think ultimately you will find that you can enroll in the program without residency (and then you use the proof of enrollment as the basis of your application for temporary residency in the category of student). The university probably means that you can't start your course unless you've received your temporary residency from Migraciones. I'm fairly sure that will be the process: enroll with university (residency not required); obtain temporary residency from Migraciones (enrollment necessary); commence program (temporary residency required). You need to contact the university. I think the above is what they will explain to you.

Back