April 2nd Monday

I'm an Argentine, and I also think that the Argentine claim on the islands is at least open to debate, and not some kind of revealed truth. However, to all practical purposes, the decision on the sovereignty issue should be up to the islanders, and the best we could do is establish bonds with them for mutual benefit. I also agree with BajoCero that we should commemorate the war on June 14, the day it ended. Otherwise, we seem to be implying that waging the war was correct in the first place.

I had dinner last night with 4 middle-aged Argentine friends, all of whom take basically the same position as Santiago F. Even where there was some nationalist sympathy, they agreed that there's no pragmatic way to gain possession at this point, so the government's position is just chest-thumping to distract its supporters from more pressing problems - as was the case when Argentina invaded the Malvinas.

A bigger concern for me was a conversation with a group of 20-somethings a few months ago. All are intelligent. All are studying at university level. And each believed - based on colegio history classes - that the islands had always been Argentine property with Argentine residents. At some point, unremembered from the history lessons, the British had invaded and stolen the islands, evicting the Argentine residents.

jimdepalermo said:
A bigger concern for me was a conversation with a group of 20-somethings a few months ago. All are intelligent. All are studying at university level. And each believed - based on colegio history classes - that the islands had always been Argentine property with Argentine residents. At some point, unremembered from the history lessons, the British had invaded and stolen the islands, evicting the Argentine residents.

I think the term here is brainwashing.

jimdepalermo said:
I had dinner last night with 4 middle-aged Argentine friends, all of whom take basically the same position as Santiago F. Even where there was some nationalist sympathy, they agreed that there's no pragmatic way to gain possession at this point, so the government's position is just chest-thumping to distract its supporters from more pressing problems - as was the case when Argentina invaded the Malvinas.

My sister-in-law is currently studying that at colegio right now. The teacher is a fanatic about the subject. They are going to have veterans come in and tell their experiences about the war (which is not a bad thing to hear about) - but their first project this year was to find sources on the internet and summarize why the Malvinas belongs to Argentina. Note, not to discuss the issue, but to support the reasons why. It is actually being taught by her Geography teacher.

My sister-in-law finds it distasteful.

However, most of her friends, whose parents are middle-upper and some upper class, think it's a load of bull that the government shouldn't be dealing with right now.

I actually find them quite interesting to talk with. Intelligent, but unfortunately very disheartened with the feeling that they won't have many opportunities in their futures. They have a pretty good read on what their family's opinions are about things (opinions which I happen to share for the most part) and they understand why.

Last night we went to dinner with Argentine friends and not once was the Malvinas subject brought up. In fact, as the wine flowed we spent more time talking about sex.
A lot more entertaining. :)

Gringoboy said:
This is an important day for many Argentines.
Whatever their opinion on the island question, I find it utterly distasteful to commemorate the day when the brutal military dictatorship started a war.

There's a plaque on the wall of Jumbo that commemorates April 2nd as the day that hundreds of Argentine soldiers set out in defence of the nation.

ElQueso said:
My sister-in-law is currently studying that at colegio right now. The teacher is a fanatic about the subject. They are going to have veterans come in and tell their experiences about the war (which is not a bad thing to hear about) - but their first project this year was to find sources on the internet and summarize why the Malvinas belongs to Argentina. Note, not to discuss the issue, but to support the reasons why. It is actually being taught by her Geography teacher.

My sister-in-law finds it distasteful.

However, most of her friends, whose parents are middle-upper and some upper class, think it's a load of bull that the government shouldn't be dealing with right now.

I actually find them quite interesting to talk with. Intelligent, but unfortunately very disheartened with the feeling that they won't have many opportunities in their futures. They have a pretty good read on what their family's opinions are about things (opinions which I happen to share for the most part) and they understand why.

I suggest your sister in law asks why, according to the same arguments, Misiones (and the other province whose name escapes me at the moment) aren't returned to Paraguay, which owned them more recently than Argentina owned this tedious part of the UK that obviously broke off the end of Wales and floated across the ocean, to provide a source of unending grief and very little humour. Apologies to the Welsh, please dont burn my holiday home...unless it is in the Falklands in which case do, so I can collect the insurance.

And to think these boring sheep fancying hermits may become as rich as a mini saudi....lucky bastards.

Back