Architect? Structural Engineer ?

Fabe

Registered
Hi folks, once again i delve into he pool of colective wisdom with a dilema.

As I had mentioned before , this place Im restoring had been vandalised . Im not talking about poo on the walls or grafiti, in some places sections of wall have been demolished, leaving severly dangeros conditions.
Of particular interest is a bearing wall in the stable.
I have had several architects visit the place , but they havnt passed the litmus test that would give me confidence to hire them .
Im specifically looking for someone that can look at the situation , and give me specific solutions as to how to fix the problem, and more importantly , to detail a process in wich to do it .
So far , when asked for what experience they have , I have had to endure history lessons on the modern revival movement and such fluff that has nothing to do with engineering and knowledge of mechanical statics.
I have been told that I need to hire a " Calculista"
So I ask if anyone might recomend somone they know to be specifically savyy in this field
Thanks !

Hi Fabe, where are you located again? I can recommend a REALLY GOOD contractor, he's not an architect or engineer, but he has solved some very challenging issues in both my business and home, things that others who assessed the situation never would have thought of he also has a very professional demeanor.

I used to work for a mortgage bank so I know how AWFUL people can be when they are removed from a property against their will. 2 cases I will never forget. One a weird lady wet down all the (bright red) carpets and sprinkled mushroom spores all over them. She then turned on the heat all the way. The next day the apartment floors were completely covered in mushrooms, it looked like a scene from the enchanted forest or Alice in Wonderland. The second was a young couple evicted from an apartment, they apparently made big holes in the walls (walls in New York City apartments are hollow plaster with wood beam construction) threw in fish and meat, then sealed up the holes with plaster and painted. When they left the apartment it was suprisingly clean (to the eye). A few days later the fish and meat in the walls started to rot and the entire building (20 apartments) became infested with worms and maggots. The exterminatior wanted to break open all the walls in the building and said the only way to get rid of this was to set the building on fire or evacuate the people and bomb the place with mustard gas!

David , Thanks , Ill PM you .
Isnt it incredible mans capacity for malice ?

Sounds like you need a structural engineer rather than an architect unless they are one in the same in BA.

In Argentina, a person licensed to sign of on construction projects is called "Maestro Mayor de Obras"

Hi ,
Reading the posts here . That is at the heart of my problem. I too have extrapolated that its the architect that makes the calculations and engineering studies. Actualy im concluding that from all the feedback i have gotten in the past.
Now,that said. Every single architect i have spoken to , doesnt seem to pass muster .
I casually ask them to calculate a truss. They cannot do it. This is the litmus test I was talking about. I mean , I have done a fair ammount of framing. In that experience , the rule of thumb is that the cross members for a truss intersect at one third distance of the length of the bottom segment.
Keep in mind , this is rule of thumb or common practice among framers. No architect is famillar with that , let alone knowing the formula for developing a truss from scratch. THAT is one of the issues that puts the fear of god into me and paralyzes me with fear that its gonna be all wrong and someone is gonna get killed.
Maestro mayor de obra:
Again . every ALBANIL I spoke to claims to be a Maestro mayor de obra. Of those I have met at worksites , they have one thing in common , their abssence from the worksite after the first day . The other group of Maestros mayor de obras I have seen at worksites were there to load a few bags of cement into their trunks.
See where Im at ?
I am probaly in the worst situation , I have no confidence to move forward on this issue. I need someone with the intestinal fortitude to actually lose sleep thinking about the calculations and the task .

Fabe,
Here in Argentina, “normally” a calculista is a structural engineer, with at least the equivalent of a bachelors degree (4-5 years) from a University. For building apartment buildings at least, we hired an architect, who then uses a calculista to do the structural engineering calculations and computations. We also had a few questions for the calculista during the demolition of an existing structure that left an existing wall standing alone for a period of time and the neighbor was concerned about it falling. He addressed the issue and through his “calculations” and experience assured all involved that there was no risk. This particular calculista works in a “Studio” meaning he works in an office with a group of engineers. Not sure if he works on houses and “small” projects but if you PM me and can pass on to you his details in the next day or so, because the info is in my office and I live in Pilar. This morning I could not find gasoline anywhere, (to drive to my office in Capital) and so it appears I am forced to spend the day at home in the pool with the kids, BUMMER! Can you believe the bad luck!

Hi RSPlayer !
We are on the same page. I knew it must have worked the way you describe it . Nerd does the math , George costanza gets the status and glory.
That fella is exactly the person I need.
Any idea on he fees ? ( just wanting to know if im gonna have to buy lipstick before i set out to prostitute myself)
Bummer about having to stay home man , terrible ! , just terrible !!!
Ill PM you with my fone number.
And please ! , dont strain !

Fabe,

[FONT=&quot]I am an architect with a construction company here in Buenos Aires. I have renovated a number of old properties here each requiring structural intervention. I have many years of hands-on experience and would have no problem advising you or carrying out the works if required. I have also studied structural mechanics. I renovated old and historical properties in other parts of the world responsible for the design and building works. I have a calculista who helps with the sizing of concrete framing and we can bring him to bear if required.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Please send me a PM
[/FONT]

Fabe,
To give you and idea of the fees, for a 7 story apartment building we paid an architect X pesos for the plans and basically unlimited consulting, etc. but NOT project management and direction, which is part of what we are doing. We then paid the calculista directly about 32% of the architect’s fees.

Back