Are Argentines too Opinionated and rude?

I am quoting myslef from the "Expats not happy, why stay?" thread as (in my opinion) it is also relevant to this one:

steveinbsas said:
...When I first arrived three years ago (after living in Mexico for five years) I spoke Mexican Spanish, but didn't speak (or understand) Argentine castellano very well. The first Argentine I met was the "porteno" who managed the temporary apartment I was renting. His general manner was vastly different from the Mexicians I knew and had done business with. I didn't think he was rude, but he was far more abrupt than I expected. He reminded me of some of the Italians I observed in Rome.

In the past three years I have learned a lot more castellano here, and the more I speak it like the locals (including accents on the correct syllables), the "nicer" the locals are to me...primarily because they understand me better and I am showing some respect for the fact that their language is the language here.

What's most surprising to me is how often some of them begin to speak to me in English after a few sentences in castellano. Most of the locals who know English like to show that they can speak it, though often telling me that my castellano is better than their English. It's a nice complement to say the least.

They are usually surprised (yet pleased) when I tell them that I prefer living in Argentina to the USA. I'm sure they think I am naive about what has happened here (economically and politically) and may happen in the future. They are also surprised to know that I have studied Argentine history and know about it's past difficulties. I wonder how many expats know what tomorrow's "holiday" is all about.

Deep political discussions aside, just learning what to say here in the appropriate circumstances can make a big difference in how you get treated here. For example, if you say "perdon: when trying to pass someone in the street, you won't be nearly as happy with the result than if you say "permiso". There have been two expats who have posted about this in forum posts, insisting that perdon means the same thing. It doesn't. Not here. If Argentines don't get out of your way when you say "perdon" it doesn't mean they are rude. It only means you used the wrong word.

If you want to be happy here, you have to learn how to live here. It pays to learn what to say and when to say it...at least a little. If you refuse to learn (and adapt) you are destined for unhappiness in Argentina.

Also, adding to this thread, I wonder how many expat men routinely kiss Argentine men when meeting or saying good-bye. If you have been here a while and the number is low, I suspect there is still a cultural gap the expat hasn't been willing to bridge and it's the expat who may be considered ill mannered by the Argentine men.

Anyone else have an opinion?

Buenos Aires has a very unique culture that will take many years to understand . Most of the time I love it here but of course I have my days that I can scream at the inefficiency and some boludo that I cross on the street who wants to run me over with a smile on his face.

The best part of the culture here is the respect for family and close friendships. If you do have a porteño friend they are for life and will have all the time for you.

Steves post I give 10 points to as he hit the nail on the head.

Back