Are some Argentinian universities far more prestigious than others?

You are in straight if you approved the CBC of UBA...so, the Di Tella is for thouse loosers who failed at UBA. Most private universities works as a second option of UBA.

FYI the CBC is a leveling course of 1 year where you have to approve 8 subjects.

First regarding "Is DiTella hard to get into?" Is there ANY private school in Argentina that's hard to get into if you have the money? This includes secondary schools. I think the answer is NO. I'm not aware of any tests similar to SATs administered in Argentina as part of university admissions. Some universities like DiTella have higher standards than universities like Belgrano but I think that money and connections can get you into any school in Argentina unless you are really seriously academically deficient and I think even then the lesser universities will take anyone.

I agree that the CBC is very hard and it is the leveler. Admission to UBA is open to anyone however to continue you must finish the CBC which is demanding. Many who can't handle it go to private universities if they have the money. I feel more confident dealing with graduates of UBA than the private universities precisely because I know that they have had to get through a demanding 'basic training' than graduates of private universities. I'm sure that DITella and San Andres have reasonably high standards but I'm always suspicious of private schools when it comes to graduating students. These expensive private schools can afford to hire some visiting professors from the US and have better facilities and some international contacts but I am not sure that their graduates are better prepared than those of UBA.

There is a lot of elitism surrounding the UBA — even though it's "para el pueblo."

Many people view private universities as places where the "loosers who failed at UBA" pay for their degree. Ultimately, success all comes down to the individual. I know UBA graduates who can barely get themselves dressed in the morning, and I know people from private universities who are very successful (and vice-versa).

However, here's one thing UBA and private university students do have in common:

Many of them take forever to finish their degree! 8+ years to finish what is a 5 year program is not uncommon. One reason is because you can fail courses/exams multiple times and retake them... or even put off taking an exam for a future date which is sometimes YEARS in the future!

There is a lot of elitism surrounding the UBA — even though it's "para el pueblo."

Many people view private universities as places where the "loosers who failed at UBA" pay for their degree. Ultimately, success all comes down to the individual. I know UBA graduates who can barely get themselves dressed in the morning, and I know people from private universities who are very successful (and vice-versa).

However, here's one thing UBA and private university students do have in common:

Many of them take forever to finish their degree! 8+ years to finish what is a 5 year program is not uncommon. One reason is because you can fail courses/exams multiple times and retake them... or even put off taking an exam for a future date which is sometimes YEARS in the future!

You're quite right about some students taking forever to complete degrees. And I agree that there are competent people who have graduated from both UBA and private universities. DiTella and San Andres may be looked at more favorably by recruiters in the US but I think this has something to do with their international connections due to having the money to pay some visiting professors etc. UBA is a much more idiosyncratic institution.

First regarding "Is DiTella hard to get into?" Is there ANY private school in Argentina that's hard to get into if you have the money? This includes secondary schools. I think the answer is NO. I'm not aware of any tests similar to SATs administered in Argentina as part of university admissions. Some universities like DiTella have higher standards than universities like Belgrano but I think that money and connections can get you into any school in Argentina unless you are really seriously academically deficient and I think even then the lesser universities will take anyone.

I agree that the CBC is very hard and it is the leveler. Admission to UBA is open to anyone however to continue you must finish the CBC which is demanding. Many who can't handle it go to private universities if they have the money. I feel more confident dealing with graduates of UBA than the private universities precisely because I know that they have had to get through a demanding 'basic training' than graduates of private universities. I'm sure that DITella and San Andres have reasonably high standards but I'm always suspicious of private schools when it comes to graduating students. These expensive private schools can afford to hire some visiting professors from the US and have better facilities and some international contacts but I am not sure that their graduates are better prepared than those of UBA.

You are right. Only Nacional Buenos Aires and Carlos Pellegrini (both belongs to UBA) are the best two high schools in the country and money has nothing to do with getting accepted.

The difference is that at UBA Law School you have 30.000 students and only 1000 per year finish it because competition is very hard and the professors very exigent. For example, while at UB I had to study about 400 pages, at UBA at Maier´s Cathedra with Rusconi I had to study 40.000. At Civil Law I while at private universities they study from 500 pages manual, I had to study from 3 different treaties of no less 3 books each of 1000 pages.

And the University is so big that you have many professors with his own cathedra which means that is like 30 different law schools under the same roof. I belong to Maier´s Cathedra where I has professor´s assistant for 9 years where for becoming a professor he demanded to do a Master abroad and he does not accepts 2 from the same University because his Cathedra is a think tank and he demand new aproaches. So, for example, Bovino made his Master at Columbia, Beloff at Harvard, Naddeo at Standford, Rusconi went to Cornell (I guess that is why it is not at his CV) and Pastor, who is now in charge of Maier´s cathedra has many studies of interchange abroad, mainly in Germany, including with Klaus Roxin. While Julio Maier is the most important Professor of Criminal Procedure alive in the world, Roxin is his parallel in Criminal Law.

Maier: http://www.derecho.uba.ar/multimedia/curriculum/cv_maier_01.pdf
Naddeo: https://www.linkedin.com/in/cnaddeo
Bovino CV: http://www.campusapp.com.ar/presentacion/bovino.html
Beloff: http://www.derecho.uba.ar/investigacion/investigadores/cv/mary-beloff.php
Pastor: http://www.estudio.name/staff/daniel-r-pastor/

You do not have a dream team like this in any other University and the only reason they adopt me was merit.
And this is only one dream team among hundreds of them.

Last edited:

It is not elitism, it is proud.
I used to work at the best Criminal Law Firm and they hired me while I was a student to fix the bad work of a lawyer from a UP whose father was an important client of the Law Firm and demanded him to be hired. Once he asked me for important books about criminal Law and I made him a list. I though it was for reading but, instead, it was for buying them for decoration of his future law firm...
It is true that you can do an exam more than one time but at American Universities it is almost imposible to fail in one after you were accepted. When I approved Comercial Law, I was the only one in a class of 60.

I have worked in International Higher Ed for over 35 years, done extensive research on higher education systems. UBA is still the best in most areas. Unfortunately for myself, Higher Ed has turned into a major business ( in particular in the US). Do not get allured, for the lack of a better word by partnerships and exchanges.

I have worked in International Higher Ed for over 35 years, done extensive research on higher education systems. UBA is still the best in most areas. Unfortunately for myself, Higher Ed has turned into a major business ( in particular in the US). Do not get allured, for the lack of a better word by partnerships and exchanges.
No personal experience of UBA but I have watched students progress through their medical and architecture schools and I'm impressed.

In the UK we have The Open University which, as the name suggests, makes it possible for anybody, with the appropriate ability to work towards a good quality degree with top quality teachers and to fit studies in between employment and family demands etc over as many years as is necessary. UBA seems to have some of the best bits of this concept and whilst I've seen some lazy students coast along and pick up low-quality qualifications along the way, as BC2 says, there are some brilliant teachers and excellent & challenging cathedras and a rising star can work hard and -erme- rise.

Back