Argentina’s Economy Buckles After Leader Puts Politics First

MilHojas

Registered
Popularism 101:
  • Do whatever it takes to obtain or remain in power - be it by force or by vote, but only as far and as fast your society will permit you
    • Ideology, equations and paradigms are fluid and to be used like wrapping paper
  • Fear and loathing are your main weapons while truth and transparency is your enemy
  • Never admit failure or change course so that it may signal failure, just play victim and create distraction instead
  • When the economy does well, take credit and distribute money you have to buy votes
  • When the economy does bad, cast blame and find ways to take money you don't have to buy votes
  • When the judge rules for you, praise the well functioning institutions of state
  • When the judge rules against you, demand reform of failing institutions
  • When the media speaks in your favour, showcase it
  • When the media speaks against you, defame and silence it
Could anyone outside the country actually have expected anything else from Argentina under a populist government?
Especially when you throw corruption, crisis and covid into the mix.

it's amazing that nobody has the balls to tell kristina no.

she must have some real dirty laundry on people to get her way all the time

Is there anything in this article that isn't a normal day in Argentina? Are things any different than last year, 5 years ago, etc.? Honest question, I haven't been able to get back to AR for almost 2 years.

Is there anything in this article that isn't a normal day in Argentina? Are things any different than last year, 5 years ago, etc.? Honest question, I haven't been able to get back to AR for almost 2 years.

5 years ago Macri was in power for less then a year. It looked like Argentina had a chance to become normal. Though now we now Macri failed economically and populism came back with a vengeance. In my opinion, it has never been so bad in Argentina now as in the last 10 years.

I left the country at the end of March and I could not see me living there in the future. It may be the end of my relationship of more than 2 years, because it appears my girlfriend, even though she is sick of Argentina as well, seems not to be able to leave her parents behind...

Popularism 101:
  • Do whatever it takes to obtain or remain in power - be it by force or by vote, but only as far and as fast your society will permit you
    • Ideology, equations and paradigms are fluid and to be used like wrapping paper
  • Fear and loathing are your main weapons while truth and transparency is your enemy
  • Never admit failure or change course so that it may signal failure, just play victim and create distraction instead
  • When the economy does well, take credit and distribute money you have to buy votes
  • When the economy does bad, cast blame and find ways to take money you don't have to buy votes
  • When the judge rules for you, praise the well functioning institutions of state
  • When the judge rules against you, demand reform of failing institutions
  • When the media speaks in your favour, showcase it
  • When the media speaks against you, defame and silence it
Could anyone outside the country actually have expected anything else from Argentina under a populist government?
Especially when you throw corruption, crisis and covid into the mix.
Oh, sorry. Until the last few lines I thought you were talking about the last four years in the USA. Carry on.

Back