Argentina’s political hegemony crumbles in the face of primaries

This particular article is impressively well-written, and commendably almost-neutral.

I cannot entirely agree with Johnny's enthusiasm for Fontevecchia overall, but this article is good.

I particularly liked this passage -

In its wake the Fernández-Fernández government has left triple-digit inflation and a deteriorating economic situation that has been on the edge of the precipice for at least a year now. The global Covid-19 pandemic, the Russian invasion of Ukraine, and one of the worst droughts in decades are definitely to blame for the current situation, as is the economic debacle Macri left behind (which in great part he inherited from CFK and subsequently worsened) yet the political infighting, procrastination, and failed policymaking has made way to a potentially disastrous defeat in this year’s elections.

That's an admirably concise summary, and the only word I disagree with is "great" in line three.

To be fair, the author has editors to deal with, and he's working at a right-wing newspaper, so even partial neutrality is to be admired. Fontevecchia is no Tucker Carlson, but he is about as close as Argentina comes.

Last edited:
This particular article is impressively well-written, and commendably almost-neutral.

I cannot entirely agree with Johnny's enthusiasm for Fontevecchia overall, but this article is good.

I particularly liked this passage -

In its wake the Fernández-Fernández government has left triple-digit inflation and a deteriorating economic situation that has been on the edge of the precipice for at least a year now. The global Covid-19 pandemic, the Russian invasion of Ukraine, and one of the worst droughts in decades are definitely to blame for the current situation, as is the economic debacle Macri left behind (which in great part he inherited from CFK and subsequently worsened) yet the political infighting, procrastination, and failed policymaking has made way to a potentially disastrous defeat in this year’s elections.

That's an admirably concise summary, and the only word I disagree with is "great" in line three.

To be fair, the author has editors to deal with, and he's working at a right-wing newspaper, so even partial neutrality is to be admired. Fontevecchia is no Tucker Carlson, but he is about as close as Argentina comes.
Thank God he's no Tucker "Will someone please shoot me in the head" Carlson.

Back