Argentina acts to protect local films

In France it's much worse. They have a law that makes sure at least a certain percentage is French produced.

Personally I think it's good. We need to fight U.S cultural imperialism.

unbelievable...and i say this as an indie movie producer!

xibeca said:
In France it's much worse. They have a law that makes sure at least a certain percentage is French produced.

Seriously:confused: I hardly think the Twilight series or whatever is out in theaters constitutes an attempt by the US to force its cultural mores on the rest of the world:rolleyes: It's a freaking movie.

xibeca said:

Perhaps you are being facetious. An icon with a grin or tongue sticking out would let us know for sure.:p

If not, I will continue to welcome U.S. cultural imperialism on the silver screen and I'm sure I will continue to find them more entertaining than most French films. Though I watch many French films (often in French with Spanish subtitles), I don't think much has changed since the 70's when Gene Hackman, in his role as a detective in Arthur Penn's 1975 Night Moves, said, "I saw a Rohmer film once," he says. "It was kind of like watching paint dry."

I think of that line almost every time I start to watch a French flick. Fortunately, it doesn't apply as often now as in the past.;)

I've enjoyed a number of Argentine films, but not very many....and I'm not complaining...or going to the theatre.:D

steveinbsas said:
Perhaps you are being facetious. An icon with a grin or tongue sticking out would let us know for sure.:p

How can I be joking? Turn on your TV and you'll see that 85% of it is from the U.S, if not more. Something needs to be done against that. And taxing I think is better than enforcing a law, like they do in France.

xibeca said:
How can I be joking? Turn on your TV and you'll see that 85% of it is from the U.S, if not more. Something needs to be done against that. And taxing I think is better than enforcing a law, like they do in France.

"Something needs to be done against that."

By government? Would you replace what you call cultural imperialism with a cultural dictatorship?

Do you think that will result in local productions that people will spend money to watch?

Not if they aren't entertained.

The idea of bureaucrats deciding what the people should or shouldn't watch usually has negative consequences for the people.

And they are not well entertained as a result.

The reason there are so many US programs on TV in Argentina is that they are entertaining. No one is forced to watch them. It has nothing to do with imperialism. The government doing something against it only means one thing: loss of personal freedom in Argentina.

Argentines don't need to have their government control or regulate what they watch on TV or in movie theaters any more than they need the government to control what they read.

steveinbsas said:
By government? Would you replace what you call cultural imperialism with a cultural dictatorship?

Yes by government. Taxing products or services to make people avoid them are extremely common in both the U.S and Europe. For example; the government taxes cigarettes so people smoke less. Is that also dictatorship?

steveinbsas said:
The idea of bureaucrats deciding what the people should or shouldn't watch usually has negative consequences for the people.

Like less people smoking or less people watching crap U.S TV-shows?

Yes, but watching a US-made film isn't bad for your health! Taxing "art" (whatever you might think of it) is akin to cultural dictatorship. No one should be financially penalized for wanting to see a US blockbuster over a locally-produced movie. And we're not just talking about US vs Argentine cinema either. The smaller European movies will also lose out. What a shame that instead of trying harder to compete (and do better) we live in a country that simply eradicates the competition. A government will never be able to control an individual's artistic taste...but it will drive business out of local cinemas

Back