Argentina decides to control oil firm YPF

Santiago F said:
I understand, but... you have to take into account that the ones who "sold" (at a very low price, BTW) YPF in the 90s weren't the same as the ones who want to repossess it now.

Did Nestor not support Menem at that time?

Santiago F said:
I understand, but... you have to take into account that the ones who "sold" (at a very low price, BTW) YPF in the 90s weren't the same as the ones who want to repossess it now.

Haha...

http://www.ieco.clarin.com/economia/Cristina-reclamo-votar-privatizacion-YPF_0_676132424.html

Wish you could take that back now...I agree it didnt make sense to privatise back then, and I highly doubt they will be able to nationalize now, but I think this article just drives home how ridiculous the governing class can be

Its not a different goverment and same stuffs!. In every case, its a different gov. and different stuffs too. Becase the whole disasters maded by the goverment in 2001, 90's or even before brought huges troubles wich arent easy at all to deal with. Im agree with that the current gov. leds some important things beside almost, like the poorness, the unemploye, insecurity, etc. The reason of it is that they are trying to repair the root of the economy, and thats why they want to hadle the YPF firm again between another politics adopted. No one of us knows the economy values enough to say that the politics adopted like this one are not good. But anyway... as I said before, the goverment should not lose the focus from the other matters that the crowd needs fixed soon as possible. Maby that's the main mistake form the current govermen I guess...

scotttswan said:
Did Nestor not support Menem at that time?
Of course he did.....the same that k supports the vice pres and when the vp gets rid of K she will turn against him.....and when the new IT! person gets rid of Boudin............as I have said in the past" Breast cancer and lung cancer are the second and third causes of death in Argentina.....The first is political backstabbing...........Name any 5 year period in the last 100 years in the history of Argentina that this has not held true.

Argentina is turning into a classic (1930's style) fascist country.

I heard somewhere that when the government sold YPF back in the day that it never received any funds for it. If that is true then well repossessing something that you never got any payment for would not be all that immoral.

Yet whether they take over private companies or they sell off public works (to whoever lines their pocket), it's the people/taxpayers that always get ripped off.

I do agree that Argentina's natural resources should be in the hands of Argentines or at least an Argentine company... not that the flag of large internationals matters. But you can't fix a wrong with another wrong and I'm afraid Argentina does not have the capacity to take over YPF and maintain it. They can't even maintain their railroads... and people think it's a good idea for the Argentine government to be in control of gas and energy? :p

It's no magic ticket that is somehow going to fix everything. Argentina needs to get her own house in order before she continues to make enemies of former allies abroad. :rolleyes:

Elpanada said:
I heard somewhere that when the government sold YPF back in the day that it never received any funds for it. If that is true then well repossessing something that you never got any payment for would not be all that immoral.

The Spanish never paid anyone for it? or did they pay and the money vanished into someones pocket?

Back