Argentina elects Fernandez

Bill

Registered
It seems that Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner is the new president, which isn't a surprise.
The question is... how many expats ran through the streets naked to celebrate?

Congratulations to Christiina for winning decisively. I am very positive that she will create better conditions for most Argentinians.
Lets all wish her luck

"Fishface" said:
Congratulations to Christiina for winning decisively. I am very positive that she will create better conditions for most Argentinians.
Lets all wish her luck

Luck? she is going to collapse under pressure. Brace yourselves.
You obviously do not understand Argentine politics and how the peronist party works

From a Bloomberg article. She really didn't have to work very hard to win.
"Fernandez gave few details during the campaign about how she will manage the country's economy, never holding a news conference or issuing a platform."
I'd also appreciate it if someone could explain "Argentine politics and how the peronist party works".
Reading the Wikipedia entry on peronism is confusing and frankly, disturbing, what with the comparisons to fascist ideology.

"pericles" said:
Lets all wish her luck
I agree we need to wish her luck... she is going to need it.
I dont agree with the congratulations part.... this election marks a sad day in the history of this nation.

"Bill" said:
Reading the Wikipedia entry on peronism is confusing and frankly, disturbing, what with the comparisons to fascist ideology.
It's a good piece and written clearly. "Peronism" means different things at different times -- there seems to be no core ideology, except perhaps for the insistence on a strong authoritarian state -- which derives its legitimacy by pandering to the public whim of the moment, i.e., it is populist, expedient, and opportunistic.

Back