Argentina has world's highest COVID-19 positive rate

MilHojas

Registered
Interesting. The last informe I saw from the CABA government had about a 20something% positivity rate in the city - due to a big increase in testing and slow but steady decline in new cases. Regardless, still well above the WHO targets of 5%.

It seems COVID will be / is hitting the interior far harder - and many of those are places I would hardly describe as having "lax restrictions".

Argentina on the whole now looks to be one of the worst countries in the world at the moment in terms of new cases and deaths per capita based on past 14 day averages for the last month or two now.

Argentina on the whole now looks to be one of the worst countries in the world at the moment in terms of new cases and deaths per capita based on past 14 day averages for the last month or two now.

What would you say, the main reason behind it?

What would you say, the main reason behind it?
Lost opportunity. The government handled this disasterously as it cared more about putting on a show at the onset rather than achieving sustainable results. Fast forward 200+ days the country is weary, confused and forced to choose between food or risk of infection, while to government closes its eyes and just prays for a vaccine.

o choose between food or risk of infection, while to
... government closes its eyes and just prays for a vaccine.

If 60% of the population is really infected already, and one person infects 3 others on average during 2 weeks course, then it may be too late for the vaccine.

If 60% of the population is really infected already, and one person infects 3 others on average during 2 weeks course, then it may be too late for the vaccine.
Ja! Given the ironic failures of this country in most everything it attempts, I can well imagine it will be the first country to achieve “heard immunity” and miraculously end the virus within its borders completely by accident.... after the worlds longest lockdown and harshest critiques of other countries and all....

But in all seriousness, the death toll in “achieving” that is doomed to be very high. Argentina already has the most daily deaths of any country relative to its size at this time and let’s remember that the interior doesn’t have the same quality of health care as AMBA.

Last edited:
When is the next "look at how we are doing compared to everyone else" show from Tio Alberto?

A high positive rate just means that you're testing people that you suspect or are certain have covid. It means that you're also not checking other folks who could possibly flying under the radar.

you have a limited sample size that doesn't accurately represent your overall population.

I suspect the World figures regarding the virus are seriously flawed. The lockdown in Argentina has definitely been far more stricter than in the UK.

Back