Argentina is better than Australia

I feel that your experience of any city in the world is very much affected by which part of the city you spend your time in.

There is no doubt that living in affluent inner-city suburbs of Sydney (Artarmon, Manly, Marrickville, etc.) offers a much better experience than living in the outer suburbs (think Penrith, Mount Druitt, St Marys, etc.)

The same is true of Buenos Aires. If you live in CABA and particularly if you live in Belgrano, Recoleta, Palermo, Colegiales, etc., your life experience is going to very different from someone living in say Dock Sud or Merlo.

So, I would bear this in mind when you judge the cities of Sydney and Buenos Aires as a whole.

I would also just like to remind everyone that there are places in Australia other than Sydney and in Argentina other than Buenos Aires.

This is a article I saw today about Australia and it resonated with me . The people here are very superficial in Australia and to make friendships here is impossible in a older age . In Argentina the thing that I value the most is the friends I made there and the importance of these friendships . There is a friends day on July every year that celebrates Friends the only country in the world to have a friends day .

By the way I live in Surry Hills a upper middle class inner city neighbourhood . But if I had to rate it out of 10 for quality of life it would be 4 and Palermo would be 9 . There is so much more to do in good areas of Buenos Aires and of course the city is made for walking
 
This is a article I saw today about Australia and it resonated with me . The people here are very superficial in Australia and to make friendships here is impossible in a older age . In Argentina the thing that I value the most is the friends I made there and the importance of these friendships . There is a friends day on July every year that celebrates Friends the only country in the world to have a friends day .
I think your opinion on who is and isn't friendly or superficial or whatever is extremely subjective. For example, Porteños (and Argentines as a whole) have a reputation in Latin American for being rude and unfriendly. Do you agree with that? I definitely do not.

I also think deciding who is and isn't friendly is all relative. Like, even if I were to agree with you that Argentines, on average, are friendly than Australians, that doesn't mean I think Australians are unfriendly. I would also argue that Colombians are friendlier than Argentines but this also does not mean that Argentines are unfriendly.

Also, your ability to make friends very much depends on your own mindset. When you’re going through a rough patch, it can be very difficult to be as open and approachable as you need to be to make genuine lasting friendships.

With respect, it sounds like you are going through a tough time, and I hope you get well soon. I just hope you’re able to recognise that what you’re dealing with right now is definitely colouring the way you perceive the people, places and experiences around you. You may feel differently about all of this in the future when you are back in the right head space.
 
Also, sometimes the grass just isn't greener on the other side. It sucks, but it's true.

If Buenos Aires is where you're meant to be, then more power to you. Just don't go in expecting that moving back is going to solve all of your problems, because you're just setting yourself up to be disappointed.
 
My wife is Argentine. I can't tell you how many cultural differences we have observed living both in the US and Argentina. We both have had unique struggles adapting to each other's country of origin. My wife found meaningful friendships in the US, outside of Latin American circles, very difficult. As an American, I found Argentine interaction to be too intense at first and exhausting trying to navigate all the social faux pas.

Personally, I would try to find a "foreigners group". They will be more likely to understand your journey, your culture and your struggles adapting.
 
Also, sometimes the grass just isn't greener on the other side. It sucks, but it's true.

If Buenos Aires is where you're meant to be, then more power to you. Just don't go in expecting that moving back is going to solve all of your proiI blems, because you're just setting yourself up to be disappointed.I
I lived in Buenos Aires for 23 years and still have nearly daily contact with Porteños via telefone . Argentinians make wonderful friends and are available for you . I was born in Australia and have come back here due to a serious medical problem . I have never felt so lonely in my life than in Australia and this is a very common theme on redditt and facebook from other expats who say Australians are friendly superficially but do not want to make friends . I did make some friends in Sydney and they were argentinians who invite me constantly for mate at parks and ask me genuinely how I feel . Australians keep their distance with people and to be able to see them you have to make a appointment weeks in advance and they do not use whatsup as its too personal for them . Buenos Aires imho is a much more beautiful city than Sydney in a real sense . Walking the streets of Buenos Aires is a huge pleasure I used to walk from Palermo to Congreso many times and it was amazing going through Palermo than Almagro then Once and then Congreso . There is a street energy there that does not really exist here in Australia except maybe a few neighbourhoods many kilometres seperated . Im in Newtown now and this seems the most vibrant real area of Sydney and yes the food here is better than Buenos Aires that I will concede to Australia
 
Back
Top