Argentina Legalizes Abortion In Historic Senate Vote

MilHojas

Registered

It's objectively better for it to be legal than illegal, from a public health perspective. But people celebrating like they won the World Cup is what I don't get. I mean, they're having a party about gaining the legal right to chop up a baby.

When euthanasia is eventually legalized, are there going to be asados and fireworks?

It's objectively better for it to be legal than illegal, from a public health perspective. But people celebrating like they won the World Cup is what I don't get. I mean, they're having a party about gaining the legal right to chop up a baby.

When euthanasia is eventually legalized, are there going to be asados and fireworks?

Exactly, there is nothing to celebrate. Abortions will happen no matter what and making it legal makes sense from a public health perspective. Gaining access to a "less terrible" alternative is fair and just, but it is not a cause for celebration. This trivializes abortion and gives abortion opponents political ammunition and even some moral high ground.

I agreed with making it legal in the belief that a safe, secure abortion in a public hospital would be preferable to an illegal one, but like stated before I don't get the mass celebrations as if they have won a world cup, ending a life isn't something I'd typically crack open the champagne for.

Completely agree with legalization, it furthers Argentina on the social progressive front which is something to be proud of and adds yet more potential to the country in an otherwise conservative/ regressive region (socially speaking)

However the timing and manner in which they mobilized the masses to come together in close contact during a public health emergency is cheap popularism at its crudest - when the going gets tough distract the masses with a divisive social issue. When they start protesting again the most immediate issues call them inconscientes, haters and virus spreaders. Alberto is already saying the security forces will now be brought out to break up mass gatherings as suddenly 1000+ daily cases is a concern again.

It would be a disturbing irony if these celebrations result in a wave of unwanted preganacies which will then end up being terminated.

"People celebrating" is such a problem, really? For those without a uterus, for those without risk of death or imprisonment for getting one, for those without an inkling of what constitutes a legal, medically supervised abortion, under sanitary conditions, for those with a medieval mindset equating abortion with butchery - it must be really disappointing to watch the enthusiasm that results after the long sought, decades long, relief and battle to get it done.

I agreed with making it legal in the belief that a safe, secure abortion in a public hospital would be preferable to an illegal one, but like stated before I don't get the mass celebrations as if they have won a world cup, ending a life isn't something I'd typically crack open the champagne for.

Abortion in a Hospital..? What about only an pill as mentioned by yes voters?

Back