Argentina may have to import beef

What we are seeing is the complete collapse of the beef industry in Argentina. In 1970 Argentina had about 35% of the world market, next year a net importer. Who produces the beef Argentina used to? The answer is Brazil and Uruguay, which are now number 1 and 2 exporters in S.A. How did this happen? Lots of short-sighted and stupid policies over a number of governments especially the current one.

Even if sensible policies were adopted today it will take years and lots of investments to turn it around. This isn't going to happen anytime soon.

Also look out as it looks like Argentina will also have to start importing wheat as well.

It's going to be interesting to see the governments response to all this, who they will blame, not themselves for sure.

cabrera said:
Food is being used by big business to make people fat , unhealthy , and intentionally sick to profit the medical industry . Peoples health are in poor shape and obesity levels are skyhigh due to hormones and chemicals that are pumped into foods .

Argentines are getting fatter no doubt and their meat has become a sad relic of the past.

So why am I not fat (or sick), too?

Thanks to "big business" I am able to easily shop for all the "healthy" food I want within a few blocks of my home. My efforts to grow my own tomatoes on the roof have not yet met with much success, though the basil is thriving. Hundreds of millions of people (including me) would face rapid starvation without big business.

You should go and kiss the driver of any truck delivering food to your nearest supermarket.

If you feel otherwise, you can kiss his tailpipe.

Do you really think the food providers are conspiring with the health providers in any way?

Are you growing your own smoke?

The price of beef increased by 25% in December only. The Government tries to stop the rise while Alberto Williams, member of the Butchers Association of the City of Buenos Aires, said that “there shouldn’t have been any increase” because “the market is very well stocked.”

“We should finish the year well because we were doing good, but the production sector began to say there would be beef shortages, and then came this rise,” Williams told Radio El Mundo.

But Williams stressed that “the market is very well stocked” and therefore stressed that “there shouldn’t have been any increase.”
Controversial Trade Secretary Guillermo Moreno, according to newspaper La Nacion, confirmed the list of maximum prices in livestok markets, closed exports and pressed businessmen not to exceed on the price they pay for cattle.

Argentina, in some ways, is a victim of its own success. Exports rose after a steep devaluation of the Argentine peso in 2002 made the country’s beef more competitive globally.

But supplies began to dry up for Argentine consumers — who eat more beef per person than any others in the world — causing prices to rise and stoking social discontent.

http://momento24.com/en/2009/12/16/the-price-of-beef-continues-to-rise/

Back