Argentina Sacrifices Economy to Ward Off Virus

Good analogy, Tigre - hadn't thought about it that way.

I meant that we are all the same because there's no rewinding out of this mess, no going back to the way things were. What we are experiencing cannot be un-experienced - innocence/arrogance have been lost. Rich and poor countries alike, we've are all been shocked out of our complacency.

Probably we won't learn much from it, but there's no ignoring how fragile our systems are.

Last edited:
Thank you On The Brink - I respect you very much.

I sure as heck hope people and governments alike learn something from all this because an awful high price is being paid all the way around. We have people (THIS IS THE NUMBER ONE THING!) dying, regardless of any other factor, they are all human beings, our own kind. They are dying.

The money side is important as well, but not as important as the lives being lost.

Travel is restricted, industries shut down and items rationed. In short, our way of life is being compromised.

I know I look at life and my own part of it quite differently than I did a few months ago. It is my feeling that I am changed forever on this one.

I sure do hope others change their ways. Life can be good if we would all just co operate with each other.

Looks like Brazil is taking a diametrically opposed public policy, let's see what the results bring comparitevely :

[
]

Uruguay, as usual, is acting with restraint. No compulsory quarantine, but a very strong advisory to stay home. It may work, as Uruguayans are far more law-abiding than Argentines.

Let's see how it plays out in all three countries, with three different approaches.

Last night there was major cacerolazo from the balconies to request that All Public Employees salaries be reduced by 50 % for a Coronavirus Solidarity Fund. Makes sense independent workers can't earn a living in Quarantine, Private Sector workers are fired suspended or dismissed. However Public servants earn comfortably at home 100 % of their salaries paid by those taxpayers that can't feed their families.

No mention to dismiss dead wood in the Public Sector ??

Last edited:
Last night there was major cacerolazo from the balconies to request that All Public Employees salaries be reduced by 50 % for a Coronavirus Solidarity Fund. Makes sense independent workers can't earn a living in Quarantine, Private Sector workers are fired suspended or dismissed. However Public servants earn comfortably at home 100 % of their salaries paid by those taxpayers that can't feed their families.

No mention to dismiss dead wood in the Public Sector ??
If they removed all the dead wood in the Public Sector - then no one would be employed...

For those new to this part of the world, argentina had no economy to sacrifice, this country was broke way before this virus and in debt up to its eyeballs, somehow, this is gonna play in favor of the gov, since everything now will be swept under the rug(once again) blaming the virus.
Their idea of a soft loan here is at 24% interest..... but i've got to admit , they are playing the humanitarian card very well, the problems will start when they get the bill for all this . Oh i know, they'll get offended and not pay ..... as always. ''we won't compromise the dignity and well being of the people and blah blah blah'' as we heard a million times before.

i do think argentina has been more proactive and has taken smart measures, but let's be real, the choice was easy for AF. there was not a lot of economy to sacrifice to begin with.
In fact, it is a win win because it allows him to defaul the debt, to negociate a take off in debt and a 5-year grace period.

Opposition in Congress presses CFK for Senate approval of a project to reduce salaries of ALL Public servants earning more than $70,000 pesos.!!! Up to 20 % in higher income brackets..!

Good idea will it pass??
Why you think it is a good idea?

DEE93E9B-17A8-4250-A704-480475A45A7E.jpeg

Back