Argentina vs. EU

Spain hands down. I just came back from a month there, food and everyday necessities are way cheaper than in Argentina, not to mention the quality is in a different league. Food is the best I've ever encountered and I've been around Europe, North and South America and Middle East. I'd go with Madrid though - it's way better than Barcelona in many ways, less overrun by tourist crowds and much better groomed, cleaner and cheaper - museums have free admission hours and parks are huge and well maintained whereas Barcelona is rather dusty and disjointed and people are much more engaging in Madrid. There is no beach, but you can go to Costa del Sol or Mallorca for holidays and the beaches there are nicer and the water is warmer.

Either would be fine really. I don't know why people are talking trash about Argentina on an Argentina expat forum. Should you choose Spain and get citizenship you might find yourself having to disclose more of your finances to the Spanish government than you would to Argentina's government. Keep your money in the states in dollars, I suggest a Charles Schwab expat account. Try to disclose as little financial information as possible to the government of either country. If you choose Argentina, get private health insurance.

On the healthcare issue in Argentina...

First, what I'm comparing: when I lived in Los Angeles, I had Blue Cross/Blue Shield; when I lived in Manhattan, I had Aetna; when I lived in New Haven, CT I had insurance through Yale Health.

I’ve had great experiences here in Argentina in terms of affordable premiums, attentive and capable providers, and responsive and accessible insurance companies (I have OSDE now and had a policy directly through Hospital Aleman before / expat friends of ours have Swiss Medical and report that they’re very satisfied as well).

Moreover, we have friends that are doctors who have worked/lived/studied in Western Europe, Argentina, and the US. They’ve explained that because some of the medical technology here is not as fancy, they became better at clinical care and more personal and attentive with diagnosis. My spouse is Argentine and we have family in Spain and, obviously, the US. We have talked about retirement (which is a long way off still!) and come to the conclusion that thus far we would prefer Argentina to the others when it comes to medical care.

Suerte!

Last edited:
After 10 years in Argentina and now living in Spain for a few years, I've never regretted the decision to leave, not for one second. Life is so much easier, and I find that the cost of living is definitely lower here. I was horrified by prices in BsAs on my visit back last year.

Back