Argentina Vs Panama

PanamaRandy

Registered
Hello I am new to this forum. I am a American now living in Panama. I was hoping to make a move to BA. I have heard that Argentina was the place to go to live in a world class city and pay little. I have to say now after spend a much time on the site and others that Argentinia does not at all seem very cheap at all. I am dissapointed. I don't live in Panama City(too darn hot for me) but PC is a very modern city with 100's of beautiful highrises many that can be bought pre-sale for undeer 100k. But the city itself lacks the Euorpean flavor and is very noisy. Are there other nice areas outside of BA for example smaller cities that have everything you need but the costs are much cheaper? To give you a example I kive in the highlands of Chiriqui at a elevation of 1000 mt(3100 ft) the climate here is like late spring all year long. No need for AC or heat. Food prices for free range chicken $1 lb. Milk which I get right from the dairy is $1.75 gal..Veggies ar every cheap as I live in the bread basket of Panama and for $5 I have a good week supply.
The bread is horrible here(Panama has no winters so the flour has little gulten) The nightlife is so so..even in PC lots of discos, TGIF, Hard rock Cafe but little culutre as far as seeing live play etc. I was so hoping that a move to Argentinia would change all of this for me but to be honest after reading your comments it's makes Argentina look very depressing to me.
Plus it seems like it's not that easy to get your residency there to live full time. In Panama I was able to show that the Corporation I owned in the US was paying me the needed $$$ to qualify for the Pensionado program. Once you have your carrnet(Pensionado card) that's it..you don't have yo keep going back every year to renew(even though their is a law that says so that law has never been involked) as in many latin american countires ton's of laws but many of them not involked or enforced. Sorry for th elong post but a member here Chris also asked about Panama . I guess I will continue to look for another place but sadly it seesm like Argentinia just fell off my list..Why am I 'm moving..Panama is just to small for me and for the exceptions of the highland areas it's a very hot and humid country.
Saludos
Randy in Panama

While inflation is definately impacting prices in Argentina, on the whole it is still an extremely inexpensive country. When you factor in a high quality of life and a beautiful city character BA for me it is still the best value in the world. I have a friend who made the move from PC and BA 2 years and is very happy with his choice and has chosen to stay.

Hola,

Nice to hear. I guess the next year or so with the elections will tell more. What would you say would be a reasonable monthly amout needed to live in BA given you had your own place so no rent or mortage due? IOW electric bill, food, going out a movie or dinner twice per week, cable TV and internet..
Gracias
Randy

BA is not humid, besides for january and febuary, but than most people are at the coast. BA has winters, with cold nights, eventhough it rarely ever freezes.
BA is a big city and there is always something going on.
If you buy outside the city, you can easily buy a big house for like 100k.No problem there.
It also might be an idea to go to like smaller cities like Rosario, Cordoba and cities like that. They might be cheaper.
On immigration I cant help you

I lived large on $2K a month (excluding rent). You can live on less but you will be counting your pesos. For about $2K/month i found i could do just about anything i wanted.

"danc" said:
I lived large on $2K a month (excluding rent). You can live on less but you will be counting your pesos. For about $2K/month i found i could do just about anything i wanted.
I spend about 100-120 peso a day doing what I want
And about a 100 more for a place to crash

Thanks,
I don't need nor wish a big house. I would be moving to BA because I enjoy the city life. However is seems like the condos/apts in BA in desirable areas have sky rocketed even more than Panama City. I wonder if a small price crash(correction) is coming to BA? I have to confess I don't know BA very well only been there once but in all honesty can it really be compared to a Paris, London or NYC? I dunno..I would never compare Panama City to the like..
Thanks
Randy

I believe prices on this forum have been exsadurated. BA is cheap. Rent is cheap, flats are cheap, living is cheap. No doubt prices are rising, but they honestly had to. Yes BA is comparable to a european city. Why not have a look and check it out with your own eyes? Seems like you have the time and cash.... Copa flies direct to BA.

"danc" said:

That is a lot of money for a latin american city. To give you a idea in Panama City you can go see a movie for $2 in a new nice cine..you can eat at a nice but not at all expensive cafe for $3.00 which you get chicken or beef or fish with rice, beans and a drink..of course you can also go to a fancy place and pay 20 times that amout..beer is 50 cents a bottle or a $1 at fancy places..taxi's anywhere in the city limits will cost you $2-4 tops..I guess I was really wrong everyone was saying go to Argentina it's really cheap there and you get a lot for your money..I am still wondering what your getting?
Best
Randy

"danc" said:
I believe prices on this forum have been exsadurated. BA is cheap. Rent is cheap, flats are cheap, living is cheap. No doubt prices are rising, but they honestly had to. Yes BA is comparable to a european city. Why not have a look and check it out with your own eyes? Seems like you have the time and cash.... Copa flies direct to BA.
Yes I know..I have been there once and certainly will come again. Right now I have 2 properties on the market here in Panama, I do plan to sell out and move but not sure where I will land. Everyone here thinks I'm nuts telling me Panama is the best and mas tranquil of all of latin america but for myself after 3 years I am ready for a move. But if your spending 2k a month excluding rent and you feel that is cheap I have to differ when it comes to me. 2k is not at all cheap per month excluding rent at least on my budget. When I lived in Santa Monica, CA excluding rent I paid less than that and did fun things everyday..oh well..when I get things sold here I will come over and spend more time..
Thank you for your comments
Saludos
Randy

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Articles 55
V Expat Life 1
F Expat Life 10
E Entertainment 4
melycherry Newcomers Forum 0
Back