Argentina VS Spain

garryl

Registered
I have been living in Spain for the past 1-2 years.
From my initial observation, despite the French style buildings and Italian accent, Argentina is built just like Spain.
The legal system, tax system, residential architecture, food, culture, real estate purchase process. Argentina is heavily influenced by Spain
or Argentina copied Spain in Every way. Also the amount of Latinos in Spain is also amazing. Spain has made it easier for Latinos to move there.

From my initial observation, despite the French style buildings and Italian accent, Argentina is built just like Spain.
The legal system, tax system, residential architecture, food, culture, real estate purchase process. Argentina is heavily influenced by Spain
or Argentina copied Spain in Every way. Also the amount of Latinos in Spain is also amazing. Spain has made it easier for Latinos to move there.
Argentina was a colony of Spain called Virreinato del Río de la Plata and about 30% of its population came from Spain.

I always thought it was weird that Argentinians chose Spanish as their language and Catholicism as their official religion (like Spain) and named many of the cities after Spanish cities, like Córdoba. It's cultural appropriation.

I would say Argentina is more like Italy than Spain. Middle class PorteNos are so Italian in they way they speak, behave.. In the 2015 elections CFK's three main challengers all had heritage from within a 300km diameter area in Italy. But culturally, legally et al theres not a huge difference between the southern European countries anyway.

Speaking of the amount of latinos in Spain as long as you have a Spanish grandparent it's easy to get residency. Like in most countries. What is a mystery is how all the Chinese in Spain have managed to get there and get residency. Every single block and village in Spain now has a chinese dollar mega store. Not only that but most of them come from a single backwater province in China. Something fishy going on there. I digress.

I would say Argentina is more like Italy than Spain. Middle class PorteNos are so Italian in they way they speak, behave.. In the 2015 elections CFK's three main challengers all had heritage from within a 300km diameter area in Italy. But culturally, legally et al theres not a huge difference between the southern European countries anyway.

Speaking of the amount of latinos in Spain as long as you have a Spanish grandparent it's easy to get residency. Like in most countries. What is a mystery is how all the Chinese in Spain have managed to get there and get residency. Every single block and village in Spain now has a chinese dollar mega store. Not only that but most of them come from a single backwater province in China. Something fishy going on there. I digress.
I have visited Italy many times. Spain reminds me of Argentina the most. Sometimes I walk on the street of Spain, and feel like I was in Argentina.
The first Chinese settlement in Spain was through trade, and the recent years Chinese going there was by golden visa, you buy a real estate of 500k euro above, automatically have residency, and you do not have to live there. Many Chinese were trying to do the US green card program first, after Trump shut it down, they turned to Europe, "invest" 500k and still stay in China to take care of their business, their families can be in Spain, same in other part of Europe.
Now there is a significant Chinese group in Athens, Barcelona, Cyprus .. in general, local people like them, they bought real estate and helped the local economy, they are not like the chinos in Argentina(most of them are much better educated), usually they do not work or have business in Europe, they just live there. Golden Visa does not give them permit to work. Imagine all the illegal immigrants all over Athens and committing theft and rapes, Chinese golden visa people are model citizen.
They bailed out thousands of Greek families. For years (since 2008), the Greeks were not able to sell their apartments, foreign buyers were the only solution. Many real estate agents would knock on the doors of sellers and brag that he has Chinese buyers.

Last edited:
Argentina was a colony of Spain called Virreinato del Río de la Plata and about 30% of its population came from Spain.
so each part of Spain Empire American colony was called Virreinato, and Argentina is called Virreinato del Río de la Plata ?
Just like each province on Spanish peninsula . That's why the legal system is the same. After Agentina gained independence, Argentina is still very close to Spain in many ways.

The food in Argentina is not like Spain. Very little fish here.

so each part of Spain Empire American colony was called Virreinato, and Argentina is called Virreinato del Río de la Plata ?
Just like each province on Spanish peninsula . That's why the legal system is the same. After Agentina gained independence, Argentina is still very close to Spain in many ways.
Well, the right in Argentina always wanted to be a Colony again. Every time they are in power they try to make it look likes Spain. I can see that at law (DNU 70/2017 for example) but, for example, at subways they use the word "cercanías" to refer to close train stations. This is the word used at RENFE, one of the train companies at Madrid and Barcelona. But that word does not exist in local language.

Back