argentinaresidency.com

If you have money to spend do it and save headaches. However, if you have patience and a proper mindset to deal with attitudes and bureaucracy just do it your self.

Maikito said:
If you have money to spend do it and save headaches. However, if you have patience and a proper mindset to deal with attitudes and bureaucracy just do it your self.

If you are qualified for a resident visa you will get one.

And I have never heard of anyone being asked to pay any "extra" fees at migraciones in the process.

If you don't have the "proper mindset to deal with attitudes and bureaucracy" why would you even consider living here?

I found the "bureaucrats" at Argentine migraciones a lot nicer to deal with than the "civil servants" at the DMV in Chicago.

(There is a "language barrier" and "attitude" there, too.)

steveinbsas said:
The "immigration lawers" may indeed provide a valuable service to those who are willing to pay, and I am not saying it's a scam.

It just isn't necessary.
It just depends on how quickly you want it done and how much you value your OWN time. If you have no or low value on your time and don't mind going back and forth for stuff that could have been easily avoided, or simply can't afford it, don't use a lawyer most definitely. I have to agree that wasting money doesn't serve anyone except those who the money is wasted on.

However, if you charge your time out by the hour and every trip down to immigrations (or whatever other things you have to do) takes away from money you're earning, or you simply would rather do something OTHER than screw around with possible issue in immigrations, and you can afford it, get a lawyer.

Steve, YOU may have flown through the process with no problems. I KNOW OTHERS personally who have not had such a wonderful, easy time. Both Mercosur residents and US, Canadian and Netherlands residents, all but one of whom speak perfect or reasonable Spanish.

To answer others who are asking about a good lawyer to use, and have decided that that is what THEY want to do, I would say that there are probably better lawyers than the one the thread mentions at the start. I looked at their site and it seems a little cheesey. Hell, they say they have a price list, but I didn't see it - you have to call to get a price? Maybe I missed it - I have to admit I was in a hurry.

Attorney In BA seems to have a good sense of immigration requirements, but I haven't used him. I have seen others provide a good recommendation for him and I'm sure he would be able to do the job.

Also, search for Gabriel Celano on this site. I personally used him and have been very pleased with his pricing and his ability to get my stuff processed very quickly and painlessly, including him doing all the work of sending away for my birth certificate, FBI report and handling getting it all apostilled in the States without my having to lift a finger (while I was working and billing my time! And I live in BA, which is why that was a big deal for me). Aside from other family members I've used him for, I know three other ex-pats who have used him to get their residencies, with no issues.

I agree with El Queso in that if you are going to us an agency or lawyer, you should go with on that is recommended.

botanical said:
Has anyone used this group and can comment on their services? We are considering moving to BsAs in a couple of years when I retire, so I am eligible for a retired person visa. Argentina Residency guarantee to do all the work in getting us visas before we come, and DIN/bank account on arrival. The cost is however quite high, so I would love to hear other peoples experiences with them.

Hi botanical,

We've been using them (argentinaresidency.com a.k.a. ARCA) since 2007, and have been very happy with their services. They are probably the most expensive agents, but in 3 years working with them for our DNIs, residency visas and renewals, we've had zero issues and they've always delivered. If you can afford their fees, go for it. They have a money back guarantee. Good luck! ;)

2GuysInPM said:
Hi botanical,

We've been using them (argentinaresidency.com a.k.a. ARCA) since 2007, and have been very happy with their services. They are probably the most expensive agents, but in 3 years working with them for our DNIs, residency visas and renewals, we've had zero issues and they've always delivered. If you can afford their fees, go for it. They have a money back guarantee. Good luck! ;)
3 years and you are paying them and happy with them? These people are chantas.

Hia

I am in my third yr of going thr the rentista thing.

The first year I paid a lawyer, well it ended up being his son, to help. In the end I had to go along to almost everything anyway as they needed my fingerprints etc.

Just look at whether it will actually help, or just create an expensive middle man.

Could be a great way to get to know the place too.

Chaz

ghost said:
3 years and you are paying them and happy with them? These people are chantas.

Hardly. They got us our visas and DNIs within short few months when we hired them first. The three years are for handling the yearly renewals. Today was our third year visit, and we now have our permanent application done. Smooth process all along, and no issues. Well worth the cost for us, as we value our time and sanity very much. :rolleyes:

On a side note; we were told today that new residency applicants (rentista, etc.) can still get permanent status after the three years. The regulation that they tried to implement in June of last year, was revoked around August 2009, and it went back to the way it was before. So, it looks like if you're applying for a residency visa now you should be able to get permanent status after all.
icon14.gif
(that is, until they decide to try and change things again. :)

Chaz said:
In the end I had to go along to almost everything anyway as they needed my fingerprints etc.

You can't get away from doing some things. You have to give the fingerprints yourself. You have to go down to immigrations and sign the papers yourself.

But your lawyer or a QUALIFIED partner/helper should go to all of those meetings with you. He should do all the talking. Indeed, I was advised, even though I speak good Spanish, to not say a word, to let them do all the talking. The person accompanying you should know the people there, talk to the right ones to get things going quickly (once your number comes up). If there are any possible issues, he might have already talked to the supervisor before your number comes up to know how things are going to go.

I had my precaria in 20 minutes, with an appointment that was made three days before I went - I had one day that I could do it without stretching my schedule and they got me the date I needed. I went down the day before the appointment was made to get my fingerprints taken - literally 5 minutes. Paid a little extra (not coima, just an extra service fee for the rush, reasonable) to get the results quick because my appointment was so soon.

I estimate that my lawyer saved me in the neighborhood of 50 hours all told, so far (I still have to get my DNI). That includes getting my birth certificate from the States, getting that apostilled, getting my FBI report (including accompanying me to the local police office and getting the old-fashioned ink fingerprints to send off - it took minutes) and getting that apostilled. Getting both here to BA, getting them translated. Putting all the paperwork together and creating a nice, neat folder. Filling out EVERY form for me (including the FBI report request and my residency application, for example) so that all I had to do was sign my name and ensure that my data was correct. Basically having everything ready so that when I went down to immigrations, everything was ready and it went so smoothly that I could have almost considered the time lost just something like a long lunch.

In my opinion, if you are paying more than $1200 USD you are paying too much. I didn't pay anywhere near that, but I also had a clearcut request. When talking about paying, I'm talking about the lawyer's time. All of the fees that you have to pay, like the $600 peso application fee, the translation costs, fees to get your BC and FBI report, cost of getting things apostilled, etc, are not included in the lawyer's price.

Back