Argentina's Nuclear Program?

bigbadwolf

Registered
http://news.ft.com/cms/s/674bb44c-b51f-11da-aa90-0000779e2340.html
Pakistan on Thursday night said that a civil nuclear deal between the US and India would bring about the collapse of international agreements to prevent the spread of weapons of mass destruction.
Khurshid Kasuri, Pakistan’s foreign minister, said in an interview with the Financial Times: “The whole Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty will unravel. It’s only a matter of time before other countries will act in the same way.”
He added: “Nuclear weapons are the currency of power and many countries would like to use it. Once this goes through the NPT will be finished. It’s not just Iran and North Korea. Brazil, Argentina and Pakistan will all think differently.”
Does Argentina -- or for that matter Brazil -- even have a nuclear program? I know vaguely that there about ten to fifteen other countries straining at the bit, and anxious to become nuclear powers, but I never heard of Argentina mentioned in this context.

Yes, of course...K. is working on it! The rest of the world had better look out. One little irritation, and poof! K. doesn't fool around!

"horacew2006" said:
Yes, of course...K. is working on it! The rest of the world had better look out. One little irritation, and poof! K. doesn't fool around!
Argentina signed the NPT in 1995. There must have been some arm-twisting and some serious carrots offered. Poor sods. Nukes are trump cards in international diplomacy.

What's a little signature on some dumb document? This is Argentina! Anyway, what really matters is that people don't eat beef. Just ask K.

"horacew2006" said:
What's a little signature on some dumb document? This is Argentina! Anyway, what really matters is that people don't eat beef. Just ask K.
Right you are. Silly me. Of course, this is Argentina; since when did a written contract or treaty ever mean anything?

Back