Argentine Art Gallery Owner Denied Entry Into Us

Do you have a more enlighted explanation?
Clearly he failed to satisfy one of the entry requirements - I'm pretty sure Argentina isn't on a banned list which means your idea for why he was sent home is out the window. In fact a few of my Argentine friends have recently visited without getting sent home - amazing I know.. The article went on and on without actually saying what he was accused of which makes me believe he is hiding something - if that isn't the case then why not just mentioned what he was accused of?

Yeah. Very strange, indeed. Nothing stops him from saying "and they told me that the denial was because of X or Y" - or that they told him nothing. Would be enlightening to know what TSA said. If there was injustice then we can get fired up, but there's a big hole in this report as it stands.

I would have liked your post, but right below it, Bajo_Realiadad explained the whole thing perfectly and in detail and made your post a moot post.

I would have liked your post, but right below it, Bajo_Realiadad explained the whole thing perfectly and in detail and made your post a moot post.

Yeah, Mitch, you're spot on. When he said "[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]He was deported because he is a foreigner. Simple," it all became blindingly clear. I really feel dumb that I ever thought there might be more to it than that. God, it's good to have bajo here to keep us straight. Too bad about his NYC vacation, though, him being one of them furriners and all.[/background]

Nowhere in the article does it indicate his legal status, vis a vis his eligibility to go to the States, although it does state that he's not a US citizen.
Surely, to own a gallery in NY you need some kind of residency, a green card?
Articles like this are nauseating because they're full of emotion and short on actual facts.

Maybe he had an artistic visa but was running a business. That just (my) speculation.

The article posted by Nikad states Mosqueda is a US resident. If this is correct, there is more to this story.

My guess on what happened:

Abandoning Permanent Resident Status
[font=source_sans_pro_regular]
You may also lose your permanent resident status by intentionally abandoning it. You may be found to have abandoned your status if you:[/font]
  • Move to another country, intending to live there permanently.
  • Remain outside of the United States for an extended period of time, unless you intended this to be a temporary absence, as shown by:
    • The reason for your trip;
    • How long you intended to be absent from the United States;
    • Any other circumstances of your absence; and
    • Any events that may have prolonged your absence.
    • Note: Obtaining a re-entry permit from USCIS before you leave, or a returning resident visa (SB-1) from a U.S. consulate while abroad, may assist you in showing that you intended only a temporary absence.
  • Fail to file income tax returns while living outside of the United States for any period.
  • Declare yourself a “nonimmigrant” on your U.S. tax returns.

He could have had hired ilegal aliens as his employees or may have travelled to any of the "suspicious countries". We are all speculating. I also hear that lately, any non USA citizen now may be subject to the request of his/her Facebook password upon arrival to the USA port of entry.

I would like to know more. I'm the furthest thing from a fan of the current administration and the policies but this whole thing seems very odd to me. Specifically that neither the subject nor his gallery will clarify what reason he was given (if any) for his detention/return to Buenos Aires.

Also FWIW, my husband has had zero problems entering/leaving the US and his permanent residency is still pending.

Back