Argentine Creditcard

pscheffer

Registered
Any permanent resident here got one? Which bank? What did it take?
Thanks,
Peter

Any permanent resident here got one? Which bank? What did it take?
Thanks,
Peter
You need a salary receipt or other proof of income in Arg. apart from an accoutn with the bank.

Have Two with HSBC here. They come in a package with some other fees like insurance to cover your debt if you should die..but they saved me money especially when I charge things in the US on them. They also frequently run specials on weekends where you automatically get 25% off at restaurants, etc. and it will especially be handy when I charge my next big trip on it!

By the way, I didn't need to show proof of income. I already had an account with HSBC here and in the US and that seemed good enough as they know I'm not working.
You need a salary receipt or other proof of income in Arg. apart from an accoutn with the bank.

By the way, I didn't need to show proof of income. I already had an account with HSBC here and in the US and that seemed good enough as they know I'm not working.
When did you open your HSBC? All banks got stricter, due to Afip controls starting alst year, but maybe it varies from branch to branch. I use HSBC too along with Galicia and Ciudad.

I opened my accounts last year. Things I'm sure have gotten stricter.,

We got both mastercard and visa credit cards (Banco Frances) as temporary residents. No problem. However the fact that my husband works for the CONICET may have something to do with that.

Thanks so far for sharing your experiences.
I do not have a job with an Argentine company as I am a correspondent for Dutch media. I'll try with some banks and see what happens.
Thanks!

A few months ago I got both a Visa and a MasterCard from Banco Frances. I'm a resident with no income in AR, but have had my Frances account since 2007. It took some back and forth, talking to one of my branch agents, but in the end she made a call and got them approved. Having a plain savings account for those years to pay bills did help.

Note that it's the credit card company that approves/or not - the issuing of the credit card. The bank are the ones that can set the limit.
I got a CCs with different banks, whenever I called Visa/MC to inquire about increasing limits they direct me to call the bank for that.
Ran into a problem with Galicia re: a duplicate I ordered for my wife. Visa approved it no problem, but the Galicia Branch halted the delivery because of some snafu with a debt they claim she has. (there is no debt... when we sold an old apartment, the new owners didn't take ownership of the phoneline, then they defaulted, hence making it appear as it is her debt; proof of sale resolves this... I digress).
The bank is the middleman in all of this.

Back