Argentine Dial Plan

AlexanderB

Registered
Hello,

I would appreciate it if someone please confirm my understanding of internal Argentine dial plan rules:

1. Internal numbers are often represented with the leading trunk code (0), even though this is unnecessary for fixed-line calls originating from within local rate centres, e.g.

(11) 1234-5678 is sometimes given as something 011 1234-5678.

2. Base subscriber numbers can be 6, 7, or 8 digits long, depending on rate center. In Buenos Aires, 8-digit subscriber numbers are used, while in smaller markets, 6 or 7 digit numbers are.

3. Mobile numbers are allocated from the same geographic number pools as fixed-line numbers (i.e. are not assigned distinct geographic or nongeographic area codes, as in some countries).

4. For mobile numbers called from fixed-line endpoints, 15 is prepended to the subscriber (_after_ area codes), e.g. a Buenos Aires mobile number (11) 1234-5678 is dialed from fixed-line endpoints as 11-15-1234-5678, but the 15 prefix is not required when calling from other mobile endpoints, nor when the number is rendered in internationally-friendly (e.g. E.164, a la +54 11 1234-5678) terms.

5. The 15 prefix is also not required when dialing from any mobile endpoint inside Argentina, even outside the rate centre (e.g. Salta to Buenos Aires).

6. The 15 prefix generally should not be given as part of the number when listing it in advertisements, etc.

(Which raises the question: since mobile numbers are allocated from the same number pools within the same area codes, how does one intrinsically know that a number is mobile simply from looking at it, and therefore that 15 is required? Or am I missing something?)

7. The trunk code (0) is not required when calling other mobile subscribers within the same mobile operator's network, or on other networks. (Or is it?)

WHAT???? it's simple......when a cell phone calls you on a land line it showes up as 11xxxxxxxxx. just change it to 15xxxxxxxx, if you call out of the capital you need an area code, Capital is 114, just dial 4 if you are calling from the capital......Merlo for example is 220 just dial 220 and then the number.....why ? It's a different area code....If you call a cell phone however from a landline, you will be charged extra. at least on Telecentro.....The bigger question is how do all of these Argentines afford to sit on their cell phones all day?

1. Yes
2. Not sure - most are 8 digits, but I have come across 7 digits.. I thought they had simply forgotten a number.
3. I don't think so. Land line seems geographic, but mobile numbers seem more random.
4. & 5. As far as I know... 15 is mobile and it is usually given in the following format: 15-xxxx-xxxx and dialed the same way. The number that follows the 15 seems more random than land lines (they do not necessarily begin with a 4). You dial beginning with the 15. So local call to a land line would be 8 digits, while to a cellphone is 10 (15+number.)
6. I've never seen the 0 used except when calling international 00+foreign number.

Full E.164 format for Argentine mobile numbers is +54-9-areacode-number, so a number you would dial as 011-15-4444-3333 would be dialed as +54-9-11-4444-3333. The 9 is how you differentiate calls to mobile phones. You can also dial the number like that locally from a cell phone, including the plus, which makes it handy for storing numbers in your phonebook if you travel a lot.

Back