Argentine/Rioplatense Spanish

If you can stand to watch it "Bailando por un Sueño" might give you some insight into Argentine popular culture. You can watch it via the web. Ricardo Fort is not to be missed.

Well, if you want recent films, here are some released in 2010:
Carancho - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1542852/
Dos hermanos - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1576382/ (I just love Graciela Borges)
El plan B - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1408972/ (I think they're still showing it at MALBA)
Rati horror show - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1636459/ (in theaters right now)
Los Labios - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1637694/
Miss Tacuarembo - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1587223/ (peculiar sense of humor, quite idiosyncratic) :)
Enjoy ;)
Or, as Napoleon put it (quite beautifully, too), dale dale dale che. Listo.

Napoleon said:
(1) I walked passed a girl yesterday or the day before and her arm NOT CONNECTED to the hand holding her cell phone was moving about twice as fast as her lips were. And she was talking quickly.

ALSO-

(2) Stretch the ever-living-crap out of the second-to-the-last vowel sound in every 3rd or 4th word.

"No, no, no pasa naaaaaaaada. Para-para-para, era muy tranquiiiiiiiiiiiilo. Estabamos tomando cerveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezas y comiendo picaaaaaaaaaaaaadas."

(3) And, for no f'ing reason what-so-ever, just a little less frequently send your voice up about 3 octaves until your voice cracks. Do this over and over and over even though there is absolutely no reason what-so-ever to emphasize these words/syllables. And if it ends up that that part of the word is absolutely unintelligible? No p^sa naaaaaaaaaaada, porque ^toy todo tranquiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiilo.

(4) Oh, and drop your "S"s all the time. The more street you want to sound, the better. And then claim that you ARE pronouncing your "S"s, but that it's simply a soft S.

(5) Consider buying this book. http://www.amazon.com/Che-Boludo-Gringos-Understanding-Argentines/dp/9872173125

(6) Before you say something, make kind of a <tsk> sound but sucking air into your mouth as you separate your tongue from the top of your mouth right behind your upper front teeth.

(7) Start most of your statements with a negative sound. "Nooooo, no, no..." or "Naaaahh, naaa..." or "Para, para, para..." Start with something negative even if you are going to give an affirmative answer.

(8) Kiss everyone living thing within 10 feet of you on the right cheek before you even say a single negative thing.

(9) Shrug the hell out of your shoulders and tilt your head to the side often as you talk, because this will affect your speech in a way that I can't explain.

(10) Touch people with your hands as you are talking to them. Touch their arm, their shoulders, and if you're sitting, you can even put your hand on their thigh. The lack of awareness of personal space will be detectable in your speech pattern.

(11) Throw in some "Y, y, y.... nada."s and a few "Viste?"s when they least expect it. You "dale" for "ok?" or "let's go" and really try to use a "che" soon after it so they don't think that you're just some poser.

(12) Take about 30 seconds to get off the cell phone. Never mind that cell phone rates are astronomical, (especially for those of us without a plan) it is always best to end a cell phone conversation like this-

"Dale, dale, dale... listo, listo, dale, listo, dale... bueno, listo, bueno, dale-dale, listo-dale, chau, dale? Bueno, bueno, listo, dale, dale, ch-listo, noooo, nooooo, nada... dale, listo, bueno, bueno-bueno, listo-bueno, dale, dale, listo, y... y... y... y... nada, bueno, bueno, listo, bueno, listo, dale, dale, bueno, listo, dale, chau, chau, chau-chau, listo-bueno-dale, chau, chau, un beso/abrazo, chau, chau, chau."

I cut it a little short, but you get the point. DO NOT HANG UP QUICKLY OR YOU WILL BE DEEMED AS HAVING MALAAAAA UNDAAAAAAAAAAA!!! And you'll probably never be invited to another asado again if you're deemed to be in proud ownership of mala unda.

(13) If you're a 13-15 year old girl, shuffle your beaten up Chuck Taylor All-Stars (or imitation) canvas high-tops, as you play with (one of) your (pieces of facial metal) [CHOOSE ONE: lip pierce; tongue pierce; push-pin-jabbed into your face a centimeter above or below your actual lip] while saying "boluda" like you just learned the word 9 days ago and it's your new favorite word FOREVER!!!... "PFPS"... Palabra Favorita Para Siempre.

Once you've mastered all of this, come back and I'll give you some more tips on how to sound autentico.

-Napoleon

That was pretty funny, although pejorative and therefore worthy of admonishment. (Just in case, I looked up the verb admonsih: b : to express warning or disapproval to especially in a gentle, earnest, or solicitous manner).
Not cool.

Napoleon said:
(1) I walked passed a girl yesterday or the day before and her arm NOT CONNECTED to the hand holding her cell phone was moving about twice as fast as her lips were. And she was talking quickly.

ALSO-

(2) Stretch the ever-living-crap out of the second-to-the-last vowel sound in every 3rd or 4th word.

"No, no, no pasa naaaaaaaada. Para-para-para, era muy tranquiiiiiiiiiiiilo. Estabamos tomando cerveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezas y comiendo picaaaaaaaaaaaaadas."

(3) And, for no f'ing reason what-so-ever, just a little less frequently send your voice up about 3 octaves until your voice cracks. Do this over and over and over even though there is absolutely no reason what-so-ever to emphasize these words/syllables. And if it ends up that that part of the word is absolutely unintelligible? No p^sa naaaaaaaaaaada, porque ^toy todo tranquiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiilo.

(4) Oh, and drop your "S"s all the time. The more street you want to sound, the better. And then claim that you ARE pronouncing your "S"s, but that it's simply a soft S.

(5) Consider buying this book. http://www.amazon.com/Che-Boludo-Gringos-Understanding-Argentines/dp/9872173125

(6) Before you say something, make kind of a <tsk> sound but sucking air into your mouth as you separate your tongue from the top of your mouth right behind your upper front teeth.

(7) Start most of your statements with a negative sound. "Nooooo, no, no..." or "Naaaahh, naaa..." or "Para, para, para..." Start with something negative even if you are going to give an affirmative answer.

(8) Kiss every living thing within 10 feet of you on the right cheek before you even say a single negative thing.

(9) Shrug the hell out of your shoulders and tilt your head to the side often as you talk, because this will affect your speech in a way that I can't explain.

(10) Touch people with your hands as you are talking to them. Touch their arm, their shoulders, and if you're sitting, you can even put your hand on their thigh. The lack of awareness of personal space will be detectable in your speech pattern.

(11) Throw in some "Y, y, y.... nada."s and a few "Viste?"s when they least expect it. Use "dale" for "ok?" or "let's go" and really try to use a "che" soon after it so they don't think that you're just some poser.

(12) Take about 30 seconds to get off the cell phone. Never mind that cell phone rates are astronomical, (especially for those of us without a plan) it is always best to end a cell phone conversation like this-

"Dale, dale, dale... listo, listo, dale, listo, dale... bueno, listo, bueno, dale-dale, listo-dale, chau, dale? Bueno, bueno, listo, dale, dale, ch-listo, noooo, nooooo, nada... dale, listo, bueno, bueno-bueno, listo-bueno, dale, dale, listo, y... y... y... y... nada, bueno, bueno, listo, bueno, listo, dale, dale, bueno, listo, dale, chau, chau, chau-chau, listo-bueno-dale, chau, chau, un beso/abrazo, chau, chau, chau."

I cut it a little short, but you get the point. DO NOT HANG UP QUICKLY OR YOU WILL BE DEEMED AS HAVING MALAAAAA UNDAAAAAAAAAAA!!! And you'll probably never be invited to another asado again if you're deemed to be in proud ownership of mala unda.

(13) If you're a 13-15 year old girl, shuffle your beaten up Chuck Taylor All-Stars (or imitation) canvas high-tops, as you play with (one of) your (pieces of facial metal) [CHOOSE ONE: lip pierce; tongue pierce; push-pin-jabbed into your face a centimeter above or below your actual lip] while saying "boluda" like you just learned the word 9 days ago and it's your new favorite word FOREVER!!!... "PFPS"... Palabra Favorita Para Siempre.

Once you've mastered all of this, come back and I'll give you some more tips on how to sound autentico.

-Napoleon

A masterpiece in divulsion of Arge-speak. It should be printed to pamphlets and proffered to all in arrivals. I intend to read it every morning before engaging any Porteno I know in conversation.

Well done.

Brilliant Napoleon. Related to your point 12, I've always noticed that there are dozens of words that they say that don't actually have any meaning, other than to fill the air with more words. The same thing exists in English (well, anyway etc.) but in Castellano it's out of control.

bueno
asi que bueno
y..
y... nada
che... y
asi que nada
nada.. eso

Napoleon said:

ALSO-

(3) And, for no reason what-so-ever, just a little less frequently send your voice up about 3 octaves until your voice cracks. Do this over and over and over even though there is absolutely no reason what-so-ever to emphasize these words/syllables. And if it ends up that that part of the word is absolutely unintelligible? No p^sa naaaaaaaaaaada, porque ^toy todo tranquiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiilo.

(6) Before you say something, make kind of a <tsk> sound by sucking air into your mouth as you separate your tongue from the top of your mouth right behind your upper front teeth.

(8) Kiss every living thing within 10 feet of you on the right cheek before you even say a single negative thing.

(11) Throw in some "Y, y, y.... nada."s and a few "Viste?"s when they least expect it. Use "dale" for "ok?" or "let's go" and really try to use a "che" soon after it so they don't think that you're just some poser.

-Napoleon

Very good description! So true and funny!

(exept (13) : lots of 14-15 year old girls coming into my house and I only recognise the all stars (converse they call them here ;))

I would add one thing : always start a conversacion with "que hacééééés?", even if you heard the same person 3 times before in that same hour!

Hi Napolean et al,

My name is Julia Kumari Drapkin. I'm a correspondent based in Buenos Aires and I'm collecting tape for a radio story on speaking Rioplatense.

Could you drop me an email at [email protected]? I'd love to get in touch with you.

Cheers, Julia

Back