Argentine rules regarding receival of foreign pension

So, I just got this notification moments ago, after my status had been in "DISPOSICIÓN DE RESIDENCIA PROTOCOLIZADA" since late October. Now my status is "Tramite Intimado."

This is the first message I have received since submitting documentation on 14 August that they are requesting more information.

"You are hereby invited, within 30 days of notification, to submit to the Delegation of this DNM with jurisdiction over your domicile, the following documentation: ATTACH US CRIMINAL RECORD CERTIFICATE ISSUED BY THE FBI, APOSTILLED, TRANSLATED AND LEGALIZED BY THE COLLEGE OF PUBLIC TRANSLATORS OF CABA AND MUST PRESENT A BANK INSTRUMENT (BANK ACCOUNT) OR A FINANCIAL INSTITUTION AUTHORIZED BY THE CENTRAL BANK OF THE ARGENTINE REPUBLIC THAT CERTIFIES THE INCOME INTO THE COUNTRY OF THE FUNDS FROM THE PENSION ACCREDITED IN THE REFERENCE FILE. THE AMOUNT TO BE INTRODUCED MUST CORRESPOND AT MINIMUM TO A PERIOD OF SIXTY (60) DAYS CONSIDERING FIVE (5) SMV PER PER MONTH."

So, apparently the criminal report I provided from my state's highway patrol is insufficient and they are requiring a FBI check.

Furthermore, we now seem to have an answer about banking in Argentina.

I do not think I will be proceeding with my application because I do not want to bank my $5205 in pension in Argentina.

Plus, how do I even open a bank account here without a DNI?

So, this sucks.

Original:

"Por la presente se lo intima dentro de los 30 días de notificada/o a presentar ante la Delegación de esta DNM con jurisdicción sobre su domicilio, la siguiente documentación: ADJUNTAR CERTIFICADO DE ANTECEDENTES PENALES DE EEUU EMITIDOS POR EL FBI,APOSTILLADO ,TRADUCIDO Y LEGALIZADO ANTE EL COLEGIO DE TRADUCTORES PUBLICOS DE CABA Y DEBERÁ PRESENTAR INSTRUMENTO BANCARIO (CUENTA BANCARIA) O DE INSTITUCION FINANCIERA AUTORIZADA POR EL BANCO CENTRAL DE LA REPÚBLICA ARGENTINA QUE CERTIFIQUE EL INGRESO AL PAÍS DE LOS FONDOS PROVENIENTES DE LA PENSIÓN ACREDITADA EN EL EXPEDIENTE DE REFERENCIA . EL MONTO A INTRODUCIR DEBERÁ CORRESPONDERSE MÍNIMAMENTE CON UN PLAZO DE SESENTA (60) DÍAS CONSIDERANDO CINCO (5) SMV POR POR MES."

Does anyone know whether U.S. Veterans Affairs (VA) disability income would be taxable in Argentina?

I have a 100% "total and permanent" disability rating from the VA and it's fully exempt income for IRS purposes. I have a letter from the VA stating "This total disability is considered permanent. You are not scheduled for future examinations."

Currently here on a tourist entry and I'm considering applying for temporary residency, but not if I'd have to pay any Argentina taxes on it. I receive about $45k a year, so I assume I'd qualify for a residency visa as either a rentista or pensionado.
Same situation as you. I was told that what is exempt in the USA is not exempt here. Income is income. But innocent misunderstandings happen and maybe you didn't know. If you catch my drift.

They clearly aren't coping with the new rules. It is legally possible to open a bank account here with a Precaria, but it is not easy to do so. Pre-precaria, which is where you are at, you can't. So they have set you an impossible task. They are also asking you to deposit money as if you were approved, but you are not. And may not be (if for example, they don't like the FBI certificate).

This sort of thing is quite typical. Long months without movement on the file, then, out of nowhere, nonsensical intimaciones. The staff are incompetent, unmotivated, get confused, and leave you nowhere to go. It happened to me, and once it got to extremes like you are reporting here, I resorted to a lawyer to get them to see sense. That is your best bet now. It's worth trying. Don't give up.

Last edited:
There was some uncertainty here regarding Migración demanding that foreign pensions be deposited in an Argentine bank as a condition of receiving and renewing several classes of residency visa. After my visit to Migración Antártida this morning,

There was some uncertainty here regarding Migración demanding that foreign pensions be deposited in an Argentine bank as a condition of receiving and renewing several classes of residency visa. After my visit to Migración Antártida this morning,
Can it be deposited into a US dollar account? Or does it have to be pesified? I have heard that Western Union might qualify.

Can it be deposited into a US dollar account? Or does it have to be pesified? I have heard that Western Union might qualify.
Do you already have a dollar account here? Banks here position a dollar account as a savings tool, people buy dollars as a form of protection against inflation. It is very difficult to get a dollar account without having a regular local job due to the regulations involved.

I have also noticed that I will need to pay income tax on my world wide income after immigrating here, including my foreign pensions. @toast: yes, since incomes here are so low, I will have to pay 35% over the most of my pension here, which is about 10 procent point higher than what I will have to pay residing in The Netherlands.
On the other hand, keeping a house in The Netherlands when not migrating, including obligatory health insurance (EUR 300+ per month) and all fixed costs (gas/electricity, water, internet, city tax etc) will for sure be much higher than when moving to Argentina (we already own a house in Capital Federal, with all services in place). Let alone the difference in the cost of living between The Netherlands and Argentina.
A good health insurance plan for both of you for EUR 300 seems an opportunity...!

if you got a rentista visa that might be the case but if you get your residency through your wife or live here as a tourist, then nobody really cares where you keep/deposit your money.

Does anyone know whether U.S. Veterans Affairs (VA) disability income would be taxable in Argentina?

I have a 100% "total and permanent" disability rating from the VA and it's fully exempt income for IRS purposes. I have a letter from the VA stating "This total disability is considered permanent. You are not scheduled for future examinations."

Currently here on a tourist entry and I'm considering applying for temporary residency, but not if I'd have to pay any Argentina taxes on it. I receive about $45k a year, so I assume I'd qualify for a residency visa as either a rentista or pensionado.

I am reviving this thread as I am interested in the VA disability angle and also how many members are doing some version of this. I recently got to 100% P&T and am considering moving, at least part of the year, to be closer to my wife's family. We would be out in the provinces and not in Baires though. It would be interesting to hear if anyone has experience with how VA disability is treated. I would likely keep everything set up in my US accounts unless forced to, but haven't really explored the implications or need/benefit for residency. From what little review I have done, it would be easier with her being Argentine and us already being married. Overall just nice to see if there are other VA-disabled vets on there and living in Argentina. Would be nice to keep in touch with this group.

Back