Argentines Are .... And Some I Assume Are Good People

@ Pensador:

If I remember correctly, you were somewhat critical of Argentina when you were living in Uruguay for several years.

Now that you've been back in Argentina for a while, how would you now compare the two countries?

In other words, do you think is Uruguay still worth considering as an expat destination and would it have more appeal to one age/income range than others?

Thats a really good question. There are many benefits to Uruguay one of them is not prices. However the infrastructure is very solid things like power outages etc were practically non existant. I also miss the fact that you can get many products from the US and Europe there, you will not find here, as of yet. Also, crime has been growing and going off the charts. In fact it was far worse than any place I have ever lived. Both in Montevideo and Punta Del Este. But if you secure your stuff you can avoid that to a degree. As for people and relationships, in my experience Argentinians are warmer and friendlier but I am tied into my wife's large Argentinan family.

Here again I have already had encounters with power outages and internet downtime which is hard to deal but it is what it is. My wifes father pasted and her mother was alone with some minor health issues. We are now living on the same property in an apartment we had built off the back of her house. So in many ways we here because we believe it is not good for her mom to live alone.

If I could do what wanted to do I would have stayed in Punta Del Este because of the ocean and nature which is amazing on the north coast of Uruguay. But at this time it is better we are here for family reasons.

Comparing the two countries in general Urguay once again has its benefits and living here does as well, I have far more friends and family here which is a plus. But still the issues such as power and internet can be very fustrating especially where business needs are concerned.

But to answer your question. If you want to live well in Uruguay you better have semi deep pockets. Yet, it seems things are catching up quickly here as far as prices are concerned. If the prices here catch up with Uruguay then Uruguay becomes the the clear winner as you get what pay for without service interuptions and many other perks that are not here as of yet. Time will tell.

Back