Argentines bringing used electronics into Ezeiza?

starlucia

Registered
I'm trying to get a sense of what to expect from customs for an Argentine bringing a used laptop, received abroad as a gift, through Ezeiza. My GF will be flying to Europe next month, where I'll be giving her a used Toshiba laptop (bought in the US 5 months ago, and brought over to Europe from the US.) We're wondering whether it would be a bad idea for her to tote the laptop back to Argentina. She will be flying on an Italian passport, but has a distinctly Argentine accent. Do most locals certify personal electronics before leaving the country with them, so that they can't be accused of buying them abroad? Would it be wiser for her to declare it, or just try to slip through? The receipt shows that the laptop was bought in February 2011 for $349 + tax, but it has my name and Florida address on it.

I suppose the safer alternative would be for me, an American, to lug her laptop in along with mine, but that would be heavy and sucky for me.

Not sure what the official procedure says, but I arrived 3 months ago with a laptop in my carry-on, nothing was asked. (non-Argentine passport)

I imagine the fact that it's Used will avoid complications - if it's brand new still-in-box then it might be considered in a different light.

Technically speaking, she has to enter the country on her Argentine passport if she is Argentine. Otherwise, she has to enter/exit on her Italian passport which means she either has to leave after 90 days or pay an overstay fine, etc, etc. I think she could have problems is they question her and discover she is Argentine but entered on an Italian passport.

All the above being said, if she decides to use her Italian passport, she can bring in a used laptop as an "Italian tourist" and not pay anything.

As to the rest, yes - if you are a citizen, you have to register your laptop/cellphone/etc before leaving the country to avoid paying duty when coming back in.

I flew in to Ezieza about 10 days ago, carrying my laptop, two iphones (one was a gift for a friend here), an ipod sound dock and a crappy old cellphone (so I don't have to carry my iphone everywhere).
I was a bit nervous about bringing in that many electronics but I was never stopped or asked anything, even by the customs people scanning the bags. They give you a customs form to fill up while you're on the plane, but nobody at the airport collected it.
I have a foriegn passport, so I guess the rules are different, but on the whole, I got the feeling that they were pretty lax about it. There were many argentine people in front of me at the customs baggage scan, but I don't think any of them were questioned.

I think there´s a way around it as you already have the laptop, and I don´t believe they physically check electronics leaving the country. You could have her write down the serial number on the forms when she leaves and then will enter with the physical computer with no hassle. However, you´ll have to ask around with some argentines about the procedure leaving the country.

Good luck!!

legilber said:
I think there´s a way around it as you already have the laptop, and I don´t believe they physically check electronics leaving the country. You could have her write down the serial number on the forms when she leaves and then will enter with the physical computer with no hassle. However, you´ll have to ask around with some argentines about the procedure leaving the country.

Good luck!!

Actually, this plan won't work because they do have to physically examine the item you're declaring. Otherwise it would be a giant loophole!

bring the reciept, declare, be prepared to pay the duty. It will only be $25 bucks since she can bring in up to $300 of stuff without paying anything. Chances are they won't even ask about it, but she should be ready to pay.

This item isn't one to fret over. Further to what kurtdillard said, here's my understanding of customs regulations: you can bring in up to $300 USD of items with no customs duty, then pay 50% of the value over three hundred in customs. So you're actually talking about having to pay $25 US or (100 pesos) for your particular item, if you declare it for its original purchase price. It think it's a good idea to have the receipt, if you choose this route.

Back