Argentines will become Future Expats?

cujodu said:
Really? Do you know these people? Of all the binational couples I know I don't know a single one who has married for convenience. I don't know if it was your intention but it sounds condescending to say that "most" are marriages of convenience.

Yes, it seems to be one of the many bees in Miss Carolina's bonnet.

Oh crap - You mean that my girlfriend only "loves" me because I am a ticket out for her - Phew, glad to know this now before I make the mistake of falling madly in love, wouldn't want to get hurt........ I mean, its a long way to Buenos Aires from Dublin....

NB - Irony is allowed on here I hope! :) :) :D :D

Liam3494 said:
Oh crap - You mean that my girlfriend only "loves" me because I am a ticket out for her - Phew, glad to know this now before I make the mistake of falling madly in love, wouldn't want to get hurt........ I mean, its a long way to Buenos Aires from Dublin....

NB - Irony is allowed on here I hope! :) :) :D :D

Irony is not only allowed, I think it is great, buen hecho Che!

Recoleta Carolina said:
...I really enjoy the interaction that I have had with very wealthy people in Argentina (and yes, they do exist).

This is the attitude I will happily leave behind when I move from Recoleta to Belgrano next month. It never occurred to me to openly refer to any of the Argentines with whom I interact as "very wealthy." I know they are not very concerned with how much money I do or don't have, either.

I was in a car Friday with a real estate agent and the owner of a property in Belgrano I am interested in buying. When one of them asked my why I wanted to move from Recoleta I just tilted my head back, put my finger to the tip of my nose and pushed upward. They cracked up with laughter.

gouchobob said:
Good points. This is very true in many cases. I'm told the going rate being charged in Miami for a marriage for papers is about $20k, of course if you get caught you will have some problems. Don't know if any cash strapped expats in Argentina have married a local for cash but I wouldn't be surprised. Probably not something most people would admit to in a public forum like this.

Difficult to believe. It's not like thirty or forty years ago. The American immigration authorities check to see it's not a marriage of convenience. I'm not saying these maariages don't exist anymore but the hassle of the interview process probably means $20k is on the low side.

I assume that most expats prefer to be in the first world countries once there kids go to school.

I would think that most expats with long term relationships with Argentines are going back soone or later(and might move back later)

I work from home, so it's not my life that would change dramatically if we moved to North America. The bf works in oil and could make 4-5 times what he makes here... if we moved to Calgary... ick. With the crisis we won't be moving for jobs now, until oil comes back strong most companies are not hiring.

However, he wants to do an MBA, and unless his company decides to pay for it, he can do a cheaper and more internationally recognised degree in Quebec (once his Canadian PR papers come through). So we're on hold -- if the company pays the MBA,we'll stay and he'll go to IAE, if not, and he gets into HEC, we'll go in 2010 -- he'll get one year in Montreal to get a degree, some Canadian experience, and some connections, and the opportunity to decide if he wants to give it a go in NA for a bit, or if we want to come back here. In a way the MBA is the perfect opportunity to get a foreign degree and exposure and decide what we want to do. Even if we came back here after, he'd still have an MBA.

explanation -- yes, due to lovely government subsidies and tuition freezes in Quebec, for Quebecois the MBA is only 4k USD. For Canadians it's 9k USD. IAE in Pilar is 20-25,000 USD.

But the cost of living in BA is probally a bit less then in QC, so that would probally even out the cost difference

Back