Argentinian moving to U.K. on spousal visa

You need £62000 in savings to cover you for the 5 years until you get indefinite leave to remain. If you can’t meet the £18600 gross income requirements you can use some proportion of your savings to make up the difference. Provided you have savings over £16000.
E0573B03-6337-41E0-84E2-96DFD95E0EB8.png

That's interesting – I always thought it was more like £60,000 in savings or something close to that amount?
Yes you're right it's £62.5 if neither of you are working in the UK/paying taxes in the UK. I believe

ETA: But now that I'm seeing Ronnie's post I believe my interpretation could be wrong and it has nothing to do with being a present day UK worker, it's to do with the length of time that you need to prove savings for - Ronnie is that right?

I am in the process of marrying my Argentine partner here (UK,end of sept) it has been fairly straight forward so far.
You are in the UK with your Argentine partner and marrying? Congratulations :) Is the process outlined in this thread reflective of your experience?

No it’s just saying that should your gross income not reach the threshold you can use your savings to ‘top-up’ to the requirement.

if you have £62000 then you are thought to have enough to cover you for the five years until you get indefinite leave to remain.
EDIT - Sorry the savings only cover you for 2.5 years. Then at the time you apply again for leave to remain it implies that you should be working. Basically it’s £18600 each year for 2 half years + £16000 to meet the minimum savings requirement.

other combinations of income and savings are possible to reach the £18600 as shown in the table.

I don’t know the length requirement of how long you must show the savings but it’s all detailed somewhere in the documentation requirements on the gov.uk portal.

Last edited:
Rules have changed and it’s now quite complicated unfortunately. I had a job offer to move back to the UK and was going through the process but ended up not taking them job.

Link below is the official guidance from the government on what documentation is needed;

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigra...endix-fm-se-family-members-specified-evidence

Basically you need to provide evidence that you can financially support yourselves.
Gross earnings of over £18600 per year.

You must pass an english exam to A1 level at a certified test centre.

You must prove that the relationship is genuine the lawyers advised to include photographs of the wedding day in addition to all the other requirements.

You fill all of this in online;
https://visas-immigration.service.g...73.624239036.1598351779-1334527491.1597942640

The fee is £1523 plus £500 NHS surcharge so you can use the health service.

Then you wait to see if it is approved, If approved they will give you 2 1/2 years visa. You can then reapply for another 2 1/2 years, after 5 years you can apply for ‘indefinite leave to remain’ which is like permanent residence in Argentina.

Yes this is all correct though I think the NHS fee is £500 per year I am sure I paid £1200 for my other half when we did it last year. We used a company in the UK to do it for us as they require alot of paper work and there were a few small things that we wouldn't of realised that could have caused problems. The english test was very easy, like what is your name where do you live an she had to listen to something then answer a couple of questions. Be careful as last year when we did it they were only doing a test every 6 weeks and we missed it by a few days and had to wait.

We had to send through photos whatsapp chats etc
That's interesting – I always thought it was more like £60,000 in savings or something close to that amount?

If you want to go the savings route then you must have £62500 in a bank in your or your partners name for atleast 3 months with out it dropping below that number.

I believe we'd have to get married in the UK for it to be recognised by UK law (I am not yet 100% sure that's correct). So we would basically be better to go on holiday to the UK and marry there before we apply... I think.

No an Argentina marriage certificate is fine but it needs to be legally translated to english. If you want to marry in the UK I think your partner needs to have a special visa to do that.

Yes this is all correct though I think the NHS fee is £500 per year I am sure I paid £1200 for my other half when we did it last year. We used a company in the UK to do it for us as they require alot of paper work and there were a few small things that we wouldn't of realised that could have caused problems. The english test was very easy, like what is your name where do you live an she had to listen to something then answer a couple of questions. Be careful as last year when we did it they were only doing a test every 6 weeks and we missed it by a few days and had to wait.

If you want to go the savings route then you must have £62500 in a bank in your or your partners name for atleast 3 months with out it dropping below that number.
I believe it’s six months and I’m pretty sure it’s only 18k (give or take) for us, based on what an immigration lawyer told me - I need to clarify why exactly this is as unclear if it’s because I’m a U.K. worker (presently) or... I don’t know what. I’m self employed so it needs to be savings as annual income is sort of harder to prove

I believe it’s six months and I’m pretty sure it’s only 18k (give or take) for us, based on what an immigration lawyer told me - I need to clarify why exactly this is as unclear if it’s because I’m a U.K. worker (presently) or... I don’t know what. I’m self employed so it needs to be savings as annual income is sort of harder to prove

Yes the 62k is if you have zero income from any job.

Did you easily prove two years of cohabitation or did you get married and thereby avoid that route?

Did you easily prove two years of cohabitation or did you get married and thereby avoid that route?
We got married so we didn’t have to prove the cohabitation. Like i said i another post we paid a visa company and i my opinion it was worth it even though it cost £1000.

Back