Arrest record during immigration?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I´m a local attorney at law specialized in dealing with Federal Courts.
My experience is that any record is going to delay or make your case to be rejected with its deportation order.
I suggest for you citizenship where it only matters if you were in jail for over 3 years in the last 5 years. It is going to take some time and you are going to have to pay lawyers fees but it is possible.

Thanks for the info.
I'm not going to get murdered by the police here. That's all I can say for racism in the US vs Argentina.
Unless you steal from officer Chocobar, though. Not a chocolate-flavored candy bar, mind you. Also, getting shot by a police officer does not qualify as murder, well, unless, as you pointed out, there are nosy witnesses with smartphones. Or CCTV cameras, which are everywhere nowadays.

It's ammusing that some people don't believe plea deals are taken by innocent parties. This happens thousands of times each year. Sometimes an attorney will instruct the client that they will not win the trial, regardless of guilt. Are some really naive enough to think everyone who goes to jail and everyone who is convicted must be guilty? Come on. There also seems to be a bit of denial by some that law enforcement and the legal system in the United States has racial bias.

Thanks for the info.
I'm not going to get murdered by the police here. That's all I can say for racism in the US vs Argentina.
I'm fully aware of the bias in the US , but allow me to share this with you as a long time resident of this country,perhaps you are in love or living that honey moon that all experience as they first arrive here, but you will soon find out that you picked the wrong country when it comes to avoid racism.
Just for fun, read up what happened to the afroargentines in the past.
As you walk on those marvelous cobble stones streets you might want to consider to think who placed them there.
Slavery was abolished in argentina in 1813 , 3 years prior to become independent and a young republic. Those cobble stones were place by captured natives( they were called tamed indians then),Natives were free for the taking , all you had to do was ride out and round up some to bring them in and work them to death, slaves were freed because they were an investment that you had to care for, so in short, this wonderful non racist country, freed the slaves who were used in all the wars argentina was waging at that period of time and that's the reason you don't see many afroargies , and by the same token you don't see many natives either as they were not an investment worth caring for
Welcome to Argentina!

I
I'm fully aware of the bias in the US , but allow me to share this with you as a long time resident of this country,perhaps you are in love or living that honey moon that all experience as they first arrive here, but you will soon find out that you picked the wrong country when it comes to avoid racism.
As you walk on those marvelous cobble stones streets you might want to consider to think who placed them there.
Slavery was abolished in argentina in 1813 , 3 years prior to become independent and a young republic. Those cobble stones were place by captured natives( they were called tamed indians then),Natives were free for the taking , all you had to do was ride out and round up some to bring them in and work them to death, slaves were freed because they were an investment that you had to care for, so in short, this wonderful non racist country, freed the slaves who were used in all the wars argentina was waging at that period of time and that's the reason you don't see many afroargies , and by the same token you don't see many natives either as they were not an investment worth caring for
Welcome to Argentina!
We abolished slavery how many years after independence? Did you know it wasn't legal for me to be alive until 20 years after my birth? Literally.

To everyone else who is arguing about plea deals. 97% of Federal convictions are obtained with a plea bargain. I pled to resisting arrest without violence, a 3rd degree misdemeanor. The DA dropped the felony charge but the officer pushed on anything he could. You guys have zero view of reality. I have travelled and travelled. 19 countries and counting. The US is by far the most racist I have been to. The idea that Argentina is corrupt? Sure. Agreed. It is a fucked up country. But as racist as the US in 2020? No way in hell. No way in hell.

Welcome to Argentina!
You are missinformed. The May Revolution was made by lawyers, more specifically by the public defendant of poors that was an euphemism for slaves. So, those guys did the same work than me, emancipation of slaves and when they got power they freed them all.
After 200 years of integration there a few people who you can racially recognize as afro american but an genetic study showed that 15% of argentine are their decendents.
In fact, the citizenship law is a roman emancipation law from slavery straight to full citizenship while in the US they had a second class citizenship for afroamericans without citizenship rights, the KKK target was to avod the enfranchisement if them while the status of african american was until the 70’ the servitude that is a semi slavery semi freedom.
We have racism from local nazism but laws do not protect them, if you read the title V of the criminal code, the crimes against freedom have jail from 15 up to 33 years of jail.

Reactions: Moe
I'm not confronting you or doubting you ,just wanted to give you a heads up, blacks in argentina were exterminated long ago by a racist system , good luck to you

@ bajo_cero2, I have asked you in the past to please do not engage in any type of conversation with me, that plea still remains , thank you

You're very touchy. Personally, I don't care whether or not you were guilty of the domestic, and you're right that I don't buy that an innocent guy is happily driving along "while black" when suddenly a bunch of jackbooted cops jack him up, and pop him for four fake domestic charges, to which he pleads guilty. Maybe it happened, but I'm skeptical.

I'm white, and have experience with the US criminal justice system, and can vouch that yes, this does happen. It doesn't just happen to blacks, but it's probably disproportionate. We don't have to argue the proportions here (we can do that in another thread if you want).

In any case, to the original poster, do you have an immigration lawyer helping you with your case? You can get past this, but having a lawyer to help keep it moving will be important. PM me if you want a referral.

I guess I can see a situation where this guy is driving along, fighting and arguing with his GF, the police spot it and stop the car to see what's up. She's all hysterical and says "he assaulted me." Guy might have, or might not have, but probably whatever he did, he doesn't think it's a crime, or he thinks it was deserved on her part, like either she was acting up or it was mutual combat or it was just a standard fight for them. The police ask him to step out of the car, he goes crazy because he thinks they're racist and that the woman is lying. Before you know it, he's in the slammer, waiting on bail, with a story that this was all about racism and sexism.

Then, he pleads out on the resisting arrest because the prosecutor doesn't have a lot of faith in the woman qua witness, but they have him cold on chest or dash cam, and on his side there's a big risk of going to the jury - maybe he lives in Palm Beach or somewhere that a guy going crazy on the cops on video is very risky to bring to a jury. But it's after a review of the evidence at any rate.

But yeah, a guy pleading guilty might *feel* innocent, but the situation where a guy is "completely innocent" - ie. stone cold framed by the cops - like, I just don't believe that happens these days, and I don't believe that, in such a situation, anybody pleads guilty.

Ask yourself: if some American cops completely framed you, would you plead guilty to whatever they arbitrarily decided? No chance. It's just not something that happens. Trust me, we have a massive number of lawyers out there who live to take on cases like that. I'm sure OP tried to get one, and they said the same thing that his public defender did: yeah, you're guilty enough that you run the risk of being convicted if this goes to trial, so plead out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back