Artist studio sublet

50schalet

Registered
Hi, I’m moving to BA in mid October for 3 months, I’m an architect and artist and am looking to sublet an artist studio or space in a workshop or warehouse. I’ve been researching but am struggling to find any links. Decided to rent on Airbnb a space with a terrace for the first month so I can work there for the first few weeks whilst I look, but ideally I would rent a live/work place but a small shared space to work is ok as well. Does anyone have any ideas where I can look? Many thanks

depends on what a "studio" is to you. I know people who expect white walls and carpeting, and just have a desk. My studio has 200 amps of 3 phase power, and machine tools. (in the US- in BA, I work in a small apartment, and do lighter scale work) There are a fair amount of artist studio buildings in buenos aires, most are older office buildings or industrial buildings. So some are office sized rooms, others are drive in with concrete floors. For a sublet, I would maybe try asking at Panal 361- its the kind of small studio space most people want, and they may have somebody who wants to sublet. And they may know other buildings to try. There are bigger, more industrial type artist buildings, but they are less central- there are, for example, several in Paternal. Not something you would find online- you need to meet, and talk to, artists in town, to track down a space. Lots of artists and galleries these days are in Villa Crespo, and there are a lot of studios there. Some gallery dealers might be able to help steer you to artists buildings as well. Like any art scene, everybody knows everybody, so locals can tell you where other buildings are with studios. I would ask in Patio Liceo, if any of the spaces might be sublettable- but they are pretty small.

https://www.panal361.com/
http://patiodelliceo.com/

Thanks Reis, that’s really helpful sounds like the same as here in London. I did see Panel 361 but not Patio as they run residencies and are listed on Resiartist, but was unsure whether to bother them but if that’s the only way as it sounds a fairly closed community I’ll email them - thanks.

I’m fairly flexible as obviously need to see what I can actually find. Ideally though it would be small 120 sq ft to 150 sq ft to keep cost down, washable or concrete floor as I make small sculpture. Am thinking of buying cheap hand tools like jigsaw, old table and chair when I get there. Been looking at shipping costs back to UK on here and other forums, and it’s looking like I’m better off paying for an extra bag 23kg $200 usd on the flight back as it may not get there any other way, bit eye watering for it’s size. Have you had any positive experiences of shipping art abroad?

How much can I expect to pay per sq ft, I pay $18 usd sq ft, my studio is 152 sqft, which is dirt cheap in London as it’s in an artist studio in an old printing factory has no day light but high ceilings extremely basic, but its hard to get and you have to prove you are an artist and is not for commercial use. I’m hoping it will be around 1/2 the cost as London as it seems everything else pretty much is if you look.

Many thanks!

Last edited:
I make small sculpture.

Are you aware of the fact that (unless the law has changed) "permission" from the Secretary of Culture will be required to export any artworks you have created while in Argentina...and that getting that permission is a huge PITA?

PS: The word "export" includes artworks of your own creation that you plan to take with you in checked baggage when you leave. 1535288806083.png

Last edited:
Thanks Steveinbsas - wow good to know, I will look into this and see how not to ‘trigger’ the need for this at all costs! I just had a quick look and it seems like a paperwork and logistical nightmare. I’m a hobbyist and anything I create isn’t and won’t be for sale as I haven’t sold anything as it’s not my profession, I’m playing as such, but I see I will need to be very careful. It may even just be work in progress as I’m not there that long. Thanks again!

You are just not going to find much online. You will need to network, in person, when you get here. I recommend going to art openings, especially open studios, and talking to artists. You should be able to find a spot, but you have to plug into the grapevine. A good website for whats up is Ramona, but realistically, the art scene in BA, like the music scene, is pretty last minute- very few press releases, very little advance notice. You need to get on facebook- everything happens on facebook- and at the least, follow the hipper galleries, and then trace the artist's named to their personal pages, and see whats up. There are great free public spaces that show adventurous art, and not too many private galleries. this list is a good starting point- https://turismo.buenosaires.gob.ar/en/atractivo/300pm-art-galleries-villa-crespo-and-palermo
if you just google "galerias de arte villa crespo" you get a good dozen interesting space. If you could ever catch him, Lolo, at UV Studios, knows everybody and everything happening.

I would not worry too much about taking art back- best is in checked luggage, assuming its not framed in gilt frames, most likely they will never notice it. I transport my own work back and forth from time to time, never a mention. If, as Steve does, you had a hundred or more rolled canvases, and you tried to take a big cardboard tube on with fifty of them, maybe- but in general, they are looking to catch national patrimony, not wacky avante garde modern art.

http://www.ramona.org.ar/

also, I would heartily recommend that, in addition to doing lots of your own work, you go out a lot and see shows, openings, live music, and the scene in general. Its amazing, wide, deep, and really really fun. Almost nobody expects to become the next international art star- instead, they live life for the moment, and have a hella good time. Dont expect to sleep a lot. October-January are prime months for all kinds of art and music and performance happenings. And, as an architect, you will see amazing buildings every time you walk anywhere, in every barrio.

Last edited:
Thank you Reis, that is so very useful, what a great insight!

I like the sound of the art scene over there, the London art and architecture scene is so saturated and overly sophisticated that it can squeeze the life out of it.

I’m thinking it may be interesting to tap into the architecture scene a bit as well, not that I’m looking for work but connections are always useful. Is it similar to the art scene or a bit more structured and accessible? I am particularly interested in projects/work that overlap between art and architecture.

Because there is so much classic architecture, and the economy is in turmoil, there is not too much new construction. But there are some great projects to see- I particularly recommend going to a concert at the new CCK, the old central post office. The main concert hall, the Blue Whale, is a sculptural addition to the building, in the vague shape of a whale, with a 3 story chandelier hanging above it.
In terms of projects between art and architecture, there is some, but its more guerrilla. There are some classic practitioners, including Marta Minujin, who has done a lot of work in that intersection. However, projects like this are intermittent and its hard to say what you can see at any given time. I would go visit Malba, Mamba, Proa, as well as CCRecoleta, there are often good shows at all of them (museums). go see a show at Usina del Arte, a very interesting intervention in an old power plant, ala Tate, but with lots of free music in excellent performance spaces. go dance to Bomba Del Tiempo at Konex on a monday night- and see the staircase to nowhere built by the recently deceased argentine architect Clorindo Testa, who was somewhere between Frank Gehry, Allesandro Mendini, and pop art. (he also designed the oddly futuristic 1960s national library). documentation of historic argentine works in this area are hard to find- I recommend the excellent architectural bookstore Concentra. Racquel, the owner, has monographs and hard to find books about the art and architecture world, and is extremely knowledgeable- she knows pretty much everybody personally. There are some more theoretical architects practicing- my friend Carlos Campos, for example. He designed ESMA, the museum of the torturers of the military dictatorship, a project in which he was not allowed to touch or alter the structure in any way, as its still evidence in court cases.
In general, however, it takes time to track down that kind of thing in argentina. I have been visiting part time since 2007, and am still discovering entire subcultures I never knew existed. Its a very dense, layered culture.

Back