Asian Cultural Shop(s)/Areas??

levity03

Registered
Hey quick question:

Got a birthday coming up for a good friend of mine down here. She's into the whole Buddhism/Hindu culture. I'm thinking of buying her some prayer flags and a Buddha or Krishna statue of some sort...

Looking for any store suggestions or areas of town that could be of some help!

Thank you! :)

To go to Chinatown, first go to Retiro's first station, buy round trip to Belgrano and take the trains that go to Victoria/Tigre. Your stop is the second one. Get off the train, keep walking in the same direction till the end of the station, cross tracks and you're there.
By other means jst head to Belgrano train station.

There are a bunch of libraries that sell that stuff, not familiar with the name but there's one on Acoyte and Rivadabia (Caballito) and another on Sta Fe and maybe Talcahuano or Parana?
They sell naturist, new age, yoga, etc. books, art and semi/precious stones.

Thanks Iznogud!

Just to be sure of how to get there - Is Retiro's "first station" the railway station I'm guessing? Same area as the bus station?

Also, please tell me there's cheap(ish) sushi in China town! ;)

Yep, first railway station. Mitre it used to be called and you must take the track on the right (facing them).

Not a fan of sushi, didn't know you were allowed to use good, cheap and sushi in the same sentence. You might find (fresh) sushi at the chinese supermarkets.

There are a few japanese restaurants over there as well, maybe you should check the oleo restaurants guide.

http://www.guiaoleo.com.ar/

Why don't you get her something unique and a combination of an actual experience and related to an ancient way of life, such as Hindu or Thai Massage.

What exactly is a Hindu massage...??

And I think a Thai massage might be a little to rough on her.

There is also a Buddhist center in Belgrano R, it's on Cramer close to the Virrey del Pino intersection. I think it has a little store inside, there are always products displayed in the window.

If you need help moving around Chinatown let me know! I've got a friend who owns a gift shop there and also I've got good friends from the aforementioned Buddhist Center in Belgrano R who could help you out too.

Best bet is to come to Chinatown and check all the stores first, and then decide which gift would be suitable for your friend.

Oh and yes, there's fresh, cheap sushi in Chinatown. You just need to know which one to buy (I can help, my mum prepares some too).

Good luck!

there are plenty of colectivos that go there as well if you're comfortable taking them! definitely the 118 and 15 among others :)

Back